Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cereals

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

7373

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Cereals

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 28, 2026 12:05 pm

I did not grow up eating cereal, except for the hot cereal my mom used to make. As a grown-up, I still did not like it, but our children did. A few years ago, I was browsing the healthy foods section of our neighborhood grocery store when a package caught my eye. It was Nature's Path Heritage Flakes. The Nature's Path Food Co. is in Blaine, WA. I also decided to try it with a Coffee Mate product, the lower-calorie vanilla. The flakes are absolutely delicious and do not get soggy before I finish eating. I love the crunch, the flavor, and most of all the taste.
Has anyone else discovered this great product?
https://www.iherb.com/pr/nature-s-path- ... BoQAvD_BwE
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8757

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Cereals

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 28, 2026 12:45 pm

Since I don't really eat breakfast, I don't eat much cereal. My wife, though, must have cereal first thing every morning. For decades, she's made granola, mostly using one particular recipe but varying it every once in a while. It's really good stuff. Lately, though, she's been making it a bit less frequently and having Catalina Crunch in the Cinnamon Toast flavor. I do have a bowl every once in a long while, usually in the late evening. It's very good and like the flakes you describe, Karen, it stays crunchy through the whole bowl. And despite the sound of the "Cinnamon Toast" flavor, it's not overly sweet. (It's sweetened with stevia and monk fruit extracts, for what that's worth.)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1403

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Location

Livermore, CA

Re: Cereals

by wnissen » Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:47 pm

Oh, I love those! I have eaten cereal most mornings my whole life that I can remember. Usually I have a "dad's mix" container of mostly fiber twigs, with some corn flakes and oatmeal for texture and flavor variety. But those Heritage Flakes are also something I throw in, or eat by themselves. I only get them at Trader Joe's, though, because Safeway wants $6.50 a box or something outrageous. Luckily I can stock up.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

7373

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Cereals

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:08 pm

I am sitting here posting this and eating Catalina Cinnamon Toast cereal. Picked it up yesterday after reading Mike's post. It is indeed very crunchy and not getting soggy as I sit here doing multiple things on the computer. The taste is good, and I can see how it could be a grab-and-eat snack during the day if one needs something sweet.

Choose Nature's Path Heritage Flakes if you want a minimally processed, organic whole-grain cereal that provides long-burning energy from complex carbs, natural ancient grains, and a moderate amount of honey-sweetened sugar.
Choose Catalina Crunch Cinnamon Toast if you follow a low-carb or keto diet, need to avoid blood sugar spikes, or want significantly more protein and zero sugar per bite.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cereals

by Jenise » Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:54 pm

Karen, the factory is right around the corner from me. I don't like cereal and milk and I rarely eat in the morning, but I do love this cereal as a dry snack. Glad you've discovered it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Posts

7373

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Cereals

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 30, 2026 10:43 am

Jenise, I discovered Heritage Flakes years ago. I always have them in my pantry. Probably the best cereal on the market!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: Cereals

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:07 pm

Yes, this is one of two breakfast cereals I eat. I agree about the crunch and nutty flavor. It satisfies my two criteria: low sugar content and soluble dietary fiber. The only other cereals that meet these criteria are the various Chex (Rice, Corn, Wheat, Bran) and Honey Nut Cheerios. Jenise, for me they are a vehicle for berries (blueberries and strawberries when in season) and I use a sparing amount of low fat milk. I am fortunate in not being lactose intolerant.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cereals

by Jenise » Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:49 pm

Karen, Mark, Walt, et al: this is so interesting. I had no idea that this local product had nationwide distribution and so many fans! I bought it for Bob for the reasons Mark shares and started nibbling on it myself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFRINIC, Apple Bot, ClaudeBot, LACNIC Exp, Yandexbot and 7 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign