Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bay or Bah?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Bay or Bah?

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:16 am

Watching a foodie show and they are all pronouncing basil as bay-sil rather than the bah-sil, which is the way we generally pronounce it up in my corner of the Great White. 'Basal' metabolism, sure, but not Baysil Fawlty. Is this a word that changes with locale when referring to one of my favourite herbs? And if so, where do they say bay-sil?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Bay or Bah?

by Peter May » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Watching a foodie show and they are all pronouncing basil as bay-sil
Is this a word that changes with locale

I assume the foodie shows were US ones? I've only heard heard that pronunciation by US people.

So I think it's a word that does change with locale.

Bill Spohn wrote:one of my favourite herbs

Herb or erb?

Coriander or cilantro?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:44 pm

It's Bay to me! The only Bah's I've known were mens names. In particular a Brit friend, so your mentioning Mr. Fawlty points out that even in the U.K. there's more than one way to skin that goat.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 pm

Bay is the way I have always known and heard. I went to How to Pronounce Correctly and in the USA it is Bay-sil
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 pm

And then there's Baw as in Bob and Bah as in bath. Both ways of the anglicized version I've heard.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:00 pm

"Bah-sil" is a Fawlty pronunciation, no? :wink:

Basil, both the boy's name and the herb, comes from Greek Basileios, meaning "kingly" or "royal". Basilica comes from the same root. The aromatic plant with magical properties (in the correct hands) "kingsfoil" in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is a half-Latin translation of "king's leaf".

In both Greek and Latin I think the "bah" pronunciation is the correct one. But like most in the USA I tend to say bay-sil myself.

-Paul W.