Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Burgers Smoke House Pulled Pork

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Burgers Smoke House Pulled Pork

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:07 pm

Our neighborhood grocery store gives beautiful calendars to their best customers each year. The calendars have coupons each month for something free, 1 cent or 10.00 dollars off on high-end meat items. I was dubious about this but I had it on a corn tortilla with lettuce, cilantro, and tomato for lunch. It is delicious. Has anyone else had this?
https://www.smokehouse.com/signature-sa ... UAQAvD_BwE
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Burgers Smoke House Pulled Pork

by Jenise » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:18 pm

I have not. I actually don't care much for pulled pork. It can be good, but typically the meat's a vehicle for delivering lots of sweet sauce, not the other way around which would be closer to my tastes. It's just too much. Nice, though, that you found something that creates a good shortcut for you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:22 am

And yet... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56896&p=473455&#p473437

I copycatted that one for a friend's gathering, too! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62112&p=474398
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:01 am

Pulled pork with gloppy sauce...yeck. I can do St Louis ribs, or Texas brisket, but once you're doing pulled pork there is only the One True Que. Eastern NC style, with only very thin vinegar sauce. :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:30 am

I make pulled pork from scratch and love it. The BBQ sauce has a sweetness, so I like to add a splash of apple cider vinegar. I keep homemade soups in the freezer all winter long, plus a few prepared items like this BBQ pork and chicken enchiladas with a green sauce that our neighborhood grocery store makes in-house. I learned long ago to be prepared in case of illness, an unexpected surgery, or for a day I simply do not want anything to do with cooking. I can also help out a sick neighbor now and them with a tub of healthy homemade soup, and I love doing that. This pulled pork I mentioned is also good with a dose of coleslaw that has a lemony vinaigrette on a fresh Hogie roll. It is not something I would eat every week or even month. It does come in handy now and then, and by the way, grandkids love the sweeter sauce! So do the eight great grandkids!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:44 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Pulled pork with gloppy sauce...yeck. I can do St Louis ribs, or Texas brisket, but once you're doing pulled pork there is only the One True Que. Eastern NC style, with only very thin vinegar sauce. :)

Or South Carolina-style pulled pork, with mustard-based sauce. :)

But the proper sauce to serve with pulled pork is the barbecue world's equivalent of "beans in chili" or "tomatoes in chowder". An endless rathole that we shouldn't go down here.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:56 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:And yet... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56896&p=473455&#p473437

I copycatted that one for a friend's gathering, too! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62112&p=474398

That's a whole different story! It's not the smoked pork I don't like, just the way it disappears into that sweet sauce. The smoked pork in those cubans was au naturel!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:07 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Pulled pork with gloppy sauce...yeck. I can do St Louis ribs, or Texas brisket, but once you're doing pulled pork there is only the One True Que. Eastern NC style, with only very thin vinegar sauce. :)

:lol: Dale, you may get a kick out of this. I loved your "gloppy" description and when I woke up this morning that was the first thing on my mind. Yesterday, I had my second lunch using this product, I heated it and served it over cabbage and tomatoes with vinegar. I recall thinking how much BBQ sauce was in the container compared to the amount of pork, and I was removing the meat from the sauce the best I could. I am not a fan of overly sauced food, as I want to taste the ingredients for what they are. So yes, you are right, it is gloppy and do doubt why the kids in the family like it, as well as the sweetness of the sauce.