Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

KFC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

KFC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:13 pm

kfc2.jpg

The KFC recipe!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: KFC

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 am

We picked up a bucket of chicken to have lunch on our boat on Lake Shasta...once. Is this the original recipe or a copycat? I thought this recipe was a secret.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:15 pm

That's not the genuine recipe. My first job in high school was kitchen prep at KFC. The breading mix with the 11 herbs and spices is a corporate trade secret. Franchisees get it already mixed from headquarters. The recipe is also wrong in that KFC deep fries their chicken in a pressure cooker. At least that's now it's done for the Original Recipe. The Extra Crispy uses a different (much blander) breading and I think it's fried in an open container, not in a pressure cooker (it hadn't been invented yet when I worked at KFC so I don't know for sure). Extra Crispy was invented after Sanders sold off the business. He detested it, calling Extra Crispy "a damn fried doughball stuck on some chicken."

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:34 pm

Come on, guys. It's a copycat recipe for the home cook and as such, will get you VERY close to the original. Which I love, love, love to this day. No other comes close though there was, for awhile, a chain in So Cal called Pioneer Chicken that I also liked a lot. Popeye's seems to be very popular too--Anthony Bourdain was famously a fan--but it's not as flavorful and it's way too greasy.

I agree with the Colonel about Extra Crispy being extra bland. Yuck.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:38 pm

Wow, I way prefer Popeye's to KFC. Kenji A-L is an even bigger fan that Bourdain was, he claimed in any city that had a Popeyes, it was the best fried chicken (not just fast food). I might not go that far (I really love the other KFC, Korean fried chicken, as well as Hawaiian style mochiko fried chicken), but Popeyes is really the only fast food I'll eat without it being last option. We've even ordered a couple buckets (one regular and one spicy) for some fairly upscale Champagne tastings.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xppqv/ ... ed-chicken
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:50 pm

Take it from a resident of KFC's Mother Node: It's been a long time since the Colonel sold out, and KFC has been through a string of corporate changes since then. Sanders to John Y Brown Jr to Pepsico to Yum Brands, and I may be leaving some out. With every corporate sale the hand of the bean counter fell more heavily on product. It got worse and worse and worse. Paul, any memories you may have from Snders' time are almost certainly long gone, and Yum, the last, is clearly the worst.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:38 pm

We used to like KFC but in recent years we have given it a pass as other franchises have offered better tasting chicken.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Dale, I read Kenji and was unaware of this! There's actually a fantastic local fried chicken outlet in Seattle called Ezell's--fantastic stuff. Now that Kenji lives here, I wonder how he'd rate the two.

I remember when KFC first showed up in Whittier, California, where I grew up. I was staying over at a friend's house and the dad brought a bucket home for dinner. All I knew of fried chicken at that point was Swansons TV dinners, and the complex seasoning of KFC just blew my little mind. I was probably 10. I also loved the mashed potatoes and gravy, notable since I otherwise hated gravy at home. The potatoes were real and the gravy was a very kid-cool if unnatural bright yellow full of chunks of chicken coating that fell off in the fryers and made in house by the franchisee. OMG so good. Though the original recipe chicken is actually as good as it ever was IMO, the sides didn't survive scaling up (they never do).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:13 am

Same here: no more KFC, love Popeye's.

If you're curious, I have an online copy of Harlan Sanders' autobiography.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:24 pm

It's been years now since I last ate fast food fried chicken, but definitely preferred Popeye's to KFC.

Around here all of the KFC outlets share the same storefront with Taco Bell. Yum Brands is the parent company of both. I've never been to a Taco Bell. There weren't any around here until Yum took over KFC. Has Taco Bell suffered the same quality slide as KFC under Yum Brands ownership?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Not sure that's possible: Taco Bell wasn't any good in the first place.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:30 pm

Have no idea. They seem to be prospering with all kinds of silly (to us) menu items that would seem to have popularity. Here most of Taco Bells are stand alone--the one KFC in town shares its space with A&W Root Beer.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Yum Brands was originally PepsiCo's fast food division. They used to own A&W as well as their current stable of KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and The Habit Burger Grill. That would explain the A&@W + KFC combo.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:17 pm

Oh yeah, I realize. I was just pointing out that the combo locations have more than version.

But man, you guys got me hungry for KFC. I even thought of doing a KFC vs. Popeyes shoot-out. Would be a bit of a drive to round up both in one night, but it could be done.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:19 pm

We used to eat chicken when I was a kid, and KFC was a treat for me. For my mother, it was usually something for Friday, when she was too tired from the week to cook.

Funny how those childhood memories stick, because I can still feel and taste that savory spicy crunchy coating around the chicken. Aside from the fact that I haven't eaten chicken in decades, I'm sure nothing could replicate those sensations, even if I tried!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:50 pm

Was at Popeyes the other day. First time and a realy good crispy chicken burger. Will go back for sure. Avoid KFC as usual.