Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chicken Marsala Emergency

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Chicken Marsala Emergency

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:53 pm

All set to make this for Christmas dinner and discovered that I didn't have the Marala I thought I did and of course the stores are closed today.. Anyone think that something else would make a decent substitute - Madeira perhaps, or a sherry or even a Malaga......
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Chicken Marsala Emergency

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:16 pm

I've used Madeira several times and it works as a great substitute.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:28 pm

Thanks, Karen - I think that is what I will do - I have a Verdelho that will work.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:08 pm

I'd have gone with Madeira also, though perhaps not at 1:1 thinking Madeira would be sweeter.

How'd it turn out, Bill?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:32 pm

Actually, it was brilliant! I pounded the large chicken breasts and salted, peppered and floured them, and cooked them in a brown butter/fresh sage mix and then added 50/50 chicken stock and Madeira (I ended up using a Bual) to make a sauce. The salt/sweet played off each other far better than I'd have hoped.

Had a bottle of Quinta da Murta. a sparkling Bucelas with it and it worked very well. The recipe is going in the repeat file and the request for another case of Murta has already been sent.

Very simple - chicken cooked in butter and sage, some chicken stock added with Madeira once the meat is out of the pan, reduce and serve. Hd it with asparagus and carrots. I intend to repeat it with the Marsalla once I get a bottle and see which I prefer.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:44 am

Sounds great; that dish is a classic for good reason. I always do it with mushrooms.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds great; that dish is a classic for good reason. I always do it with mushrooms.

Me too and for some reason these days, I prefer the brown mushrooms. I loved this dish with my mother's risotto which also had wine and mushrooms in it. Also, a fresh lemon risotto is great with it. Yum.