Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Black chicken, and no not that kind

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Black chicken, and no not that kind

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:23 pm

So two weeks ago I bought a beautiful heirloom chicken from Mary's Air Chilled brand. A 5 pounder, which I prepped as per the Zuni Cafe method I always use--salted all over and stored in the fridge to dry for 24 hours before roasting. When I removed it the next day for roasting, there were strangely some gray spots on one of the thighs. Not a lot, but enough to make one go Hmmmm, that's not right.

After roasting, there was more gray area but still confined to the thigh area. I served myself some skinless breast meat and Bob the drumsticks, his favorite part. Afterward, I broke it down and put it all in a big pot to stew, including the skin. When I then went to take all the meat off the bones, I noticed that most of the skin had gray area on it, including the breasts, much more than had been the case when it went into the pot. Too, some of the meat was now grayed where it was in contact with the skin. I took a picture and mailed it off to Mary's Air Chilled with a description.

Two days later there was an email in my Inbox from one Mary Pitman. Turns out, she's the Mary of Mary's Air Chilled. Her first words were: "DON'T EAT IT!" She has no idea what could cause this.

Of course we didn't eat it. I'll be getting a check in the mail any day now, which is nice though recompense wasn't my motivation so much as sounding an alarm. Anyone ever have anything like this?

I'm going to upload the picture which is, at the moment, too large for said purpose. Will have to shrink it, hang on....

BadChicken.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Black chicken, and no not that kind

by Barb Downunder » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:59 am

Eek,! Never seen anything like that! Hope someone has an explanation I really would like to know what happened.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:32 am

Gak!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:42 am

Good Grief, that looks awful.
https://theintercept.com/2017/09/15/who ... al-rights/
Yes, an old post...but maybe worth the read.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:35 pm

Eww. I'm reminded of a Christmas visit to my snowbird parents, who lived in Connecticut but overwintered in Naples, Florida. My dad bought a leg of lamb for Christmas dinner. Not long after he put it in the oven to roast, there was a horrible, putrid smell in the kitchen, coming from the roasting lamb. My dad retrieved the packaging so that he could claim a refund. That's when he discovered that the leg of lamb had been double-wrapped. Under the first layer of plastic wrap was a second layer, bearing a sell-by date of early December. The leg of lamb had passed its sell-by date and, instead of being withdrawn from sale, had simply been wrapped again and given a new sell-by date.

The smell of rotten meat becomes worse when you roast the meat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:01 am

This reminded me of a capon I made for Xmas 2020 that suffered from just a hint of deep pectoral myopathy -- green meat. Not so Dr. Seuss as some of the horrid pictures on the internet but still surprising:
2020-12-25 capon 1 sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:30 pm

EW. Any idea what happened there? It looks like intestinal fluids flowed back into the flesh--or something like that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:40 pm

The muscle we call the tender can grow quite fast if the bird does a lot of flapping/flying but the fasces and sheaths around it do not also grow. So, the muscle presses up against the unyielding wrappers, which prevents blood from entering... and the muscle begins to wither. The technical term is necrosis and it's rather like a bruise that never heals.

We did not eat that bit but there is no evidence that it's actually bad for you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:52 pm

There's certainly nothing appetizing about the word necrosis! I'd have likely tossed the whole thing. Even with assurances about it's safety, I'd be so nauseated by the appearance of it that I couldn't have eaten it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:21 pm

We thought the damage looked very well-delineated -- the breast meat all around it looked perfect -- so we peeled it out and kept going.