Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Dishwasher Cooking

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Dishwasher Cooking

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:32 am

Came across this interesting take on fish cookery - salmon run through a wash cycle.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dishwasher-salmon-with-a-piquant-dill-sauce-recipe-2013387

Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Seems faster and easier to do it the old fashioned way, but......
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Dishwasher Cooking

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:26 pm

Never tried it. This is in the same school as Engine Block cooking: place the foil packet on the engine of your car, drive to your destination, pop the hood and serve. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:23 pm

The famous, family-run, not-on-the-strip Las Vegas Thai restaurant that eventually opened a NY branch that I believe failed, can't recall the name, made an incredible rice dish called something like 'sour crispy sausage rice'. It was one of those dishes mentioned as a must-order when others passed on the recommendation to dine there. Ruminating over it later, because it was so amazing, I got it on very good authority from a friend of the family that components of the dish were initially steam-cooked in a dishwasher. No idea what steps or components were involved, but one would suppose that at the very least, the ability to cook a lot of rice (this might have predated the invention of giant rice cookers) at one time would have been an objective.

Probably, the rice then dried out and deflated some as the water evaporated during cool-down, possibly overnight. I pretty much duplicated the texture by cooking rice conventionally with some oil and then laying it out on a cookie sheet to cool, then re-cooking in a high-heat oven later (convection setting) to crisp the top layer. The texture's magical.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:32 pm

Lotus of Siam. Interesting story,.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:46 pm

That's it, Lotus of Siam.

True story: first time we went there, we were living in Huntington Beach, California and Bob had mentioned "I sure feel like Thai food". I said, great, how about Friday, a few days out. Then, I secretly booked a table at Lotus and a hotel room at the most ridiculous hotel on the strip, the pirate one, packed a suitcase and hid it in the trunk of my Jag. On the CD changer, a stack of Frank Sinatra CDs. Come Friday I said come on let's go, we're going out for Thai food. We were somewhere between San Bernardino and Barstow when he finally asked "Where the hell are we going?" With us I had an aged Freddie Emile on ice plus a few other things--I knew the restaurant was BYO friendly and the owner/chef's son was a very knowledgeable Somm. The son ended up sitting with us for a bit, sharing our wines and bringing some others around for us to try later. I hate Vegas but this was the perfect anti-Vegas experience.

A few years later we went back, and by then Lotus was famous. No reservations allowed anymore, and one had to wait in line in this tacky strip mall parking lot or show up immediately after they opened. The son wasn't there (he was in NY opening that branch), there were a lot more tables squeezed into the open space between the original banquettes along the walls and the food wasn't half as good. What had been magical was now just another tourist trap.

Ever been?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:01 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Came across this interesting take on fish cookery - salmon run through a wash cycle.

I read about cooking fish in a dishwasher ages ago, never done it, never wanted to. I like my fish in a light crispy batter with chips. :D

Wikipedia says Vincent Price demonstrated cooking trout in a dishwasher on Johnny Carson's Tonight show in 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishwasher_salmon