Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Family Lunch Kills Three; Mushroom poisoning suspected

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Family Lunch Kills Three; Mushroom poisoning suspected

by Jenise » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:24 pm

Mushroom mystery: family lunch leaves Australian town reeling after three deaths in suspected poisoning

In the quiet town of Leongatha in eastern Victoria, a group of family and friends sat down to a Saturday lunch at one of their homes.

Within hours of the meal four of the guests began feeling very unwell and eventually sought treatment at local hospitals.

Nearly two weeks later, three of them are dead from suspected mushroom poisoning, one is fighting for his life, and the woman who cooked the meal is a suspect.

Kris Ward, who runs the veterinary clinic not far from the church, says those who died were really good friends and would meet up every Thursday for lunch and a walk.

“You couldn’t ask for more pleasant people,” says Ward. “They would often go walking along the rail trail. They’ll be terribly missed.”

Erin Patterson, 45, hosted the lunch at her home in Leongatha on 29 July for her former parents-in-law Don and Gail Patterson and Gail’s sister Heather Wilkinson and her husband, Ian.

Don, Gail and Heather are now dead. Police say their symptoms were consistent with having eaten death cap mushrooms.

The mushrooms, which grow across this part of Victoria, are easily mistaken for edible fungi.

Apparently the hostess/cook survived. Hmmmmm!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Family Lunch Kills Three; Mushroom poisoning suspected

by Barb Downunder » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:01 am

The hostess gave her children a different meal, apparently., and her estranged husband had an unexplained stomach issues last year which put him in ICU for 3 weeks.??

Leongatha is the main service centre for me, weekly exercise classes and Scrabble, doctor, dentist, hairdresser: a a nice quiet country town! And then Agatha Christie comes to town…
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:24 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Leongatha is the main service centre for me, weekly exercise classes and Scrabble, doctor, dentist, hairdresser: a a nice quiet country town! And then Agatha Christie comes to town…

Barb, I can hardly imagine!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:34 pm

The mystery deepens!

Barb, what a story, everybody must be talking about it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:34 am

The plot thickens! Police retrieved a Food dehydrator from a transfer station ( fancy name for a itip, dump) for forensic analysis. Curiously specific item and location.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:39 pm

Strange. She wouldn't have had to dehydrate the death caps, though, right?
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:29 am

Easier to have on hand?
See what forensics find and toxicology on the victims.
It’s all so surreal
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:58 pm

hitchy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:22 pm

Jeff, cute.

So Barb, what's the status of the ex-husband? He wasn't at the lunch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:29 pm

Update:

Ms Patterson also addressed media reports that police investigating the deaths had seized a food dehydrator at a local tip, saying it was hers.

In the statement, Ms Patterson admitted she lied to investigators when she told them she had dumped it at the tip "a long time ago".

Ms Patterson said she was at the hospital with her children "discussing the food dehydrator" when her ex-husband, the son of the dead couple, asked: "Is that what you used to poison them?"
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:14 am

The dish served was beef Wellington made using fresh button mushrooms from a major supermarket chain and dried from a Melbourne Asian grocery according to the cook.
And the cook seems to have kept the remainder of the dish"
It’s all very strange
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:11 pm

But she doesn't remember which Asian grocery she bought them from. I can barely imagine having so many Asian grocers nearby of which one goes to all so frequently (if you're not Asian) that you wouldn't remember which one you shopped at.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:25 am

There are no Asian grocery stores, believe me I know! Apparently she bought them in Melbourne, but the same applies, you would remember Something about where
or why you were there.
I was in Leongatha this morning for my Scrabble group and people are coming out of shock and rumours are circulating but thes whole thing i# full of innuendo and inconsistencies.

shows on the food channel today featured Beef Wellington and mushroom soup.mukluks
, coincidence or someone playing silly buggers? Love a good conspiracy,,
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:09 am

She claims she was made ill too and made a brief trip to the hospital, but then fed the rest of the Wellie to the kids the next night after scraping off the mushrooms. Not because she suspected they were unsafe but because they don't like mushrooms. This after supposedly being sick herself, and everyone else who ate being dead or almost dead? Preposterous! Either this woman is dumber than a post or she's guilty. There's really not much space in between.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Either this woman is dumber than a post or she's guilty.

Or both. They're not mutually exclusive.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:06 am

The cook was arrested this morning.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:49 am

Barb Downunder wrote:The cook was arrested this morning.

Here's a link to the story in the NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/02/worl ... rrest.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:55 am

This part was interesting: She was taken into custody on Thursday morning, according to Victoria Police, and her house was searched by dogs trained to hunt down items like USB sticks and SIM cards. A few hours later, she was charged with three counts of murder and five counts of attempted murder. The attempted murder charges included three prior, separate episodes, in all of which a 48-year-old man got sick, the police said in a statement.

IIRC, the other 48 year old man addressed in the additional charges would be her ex-husband.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:47 pm

Good memory Jenise, indeed some of the attempted murder charges do re late to her ex.