Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lames

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Lames

by Larry Greenly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:24 pm

For scoring bread, I've used really sharp, little paring knives (one is extremely narrow, sharply curved like a scimitar,with micro-serrations and one bevel), utility knives, single-edge razor blades, bread knives, and a curved twin-edge razor blade. My latest uses a bamboo skewer inserted into a curved, double-edged razor blade (use the blunt end).

Many variations work okay, but I'm not thrilled with any. Waddaya use? :?:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Lames

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Good question, Larry! For me, just a really sharp chef's or paring knife, or possibly a little microserrated paring knife I got somewhere.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:18 pm

I've just used a paring knife. FWIW, was impressed to see a show (an episode of The Chef Show on Netflix) where they visit Tartine. There they use a deliberately bent razor blade held at a very certain angle to get the curl on their famous batards.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Jenise wrote:I've just used a paring knife. FWIW, was impressed to see a show (an episode of The Chef Show on Netflix) where they visit Tartine. There they use a deliberately bent razor blade held at a very certain angle to get the curl on their famous batards.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get a good ear on my bread. I presume you meant a curved razor blade, not a bent one (which would snap). What I know is that you hold your lame almost parallel to the dough, then slash it from one end to the other off-center on one side (~1 in. deep). But there's definitely an art to it.

The image is my latest homemade lame made from a bamboo skewer and a double edged razor blade. I'll try it on the next loaf of sourdough. I'll let you know if it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:14 pm

I am currently using the double edged razor blade held by a narrow flexible metal strip. I have tried everything mentioned above. The blade and straight edge rust and dull quickly.
You are correct about a very shallow angle but a good ear is more about oven spring from very high temperatures and lots of steam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 am

Nice ear, Christina. And you gave me an idea for a lame handle. I've got some thin metal strips somewhere that should work as a handle. I like to experiment.

If not baking en cloche, I use a small, cast-iron skillet partly filled with water in the bottom of the oven for steam. And, for the first 10 minutes, I spray water into the oven every two minutes. It would be nice to have a steam injector oven, but probably will never happen unless I invent something.

Hey, Jenise: the loaf I baked after the one I photographed was a failure. Happens to me, too. I didn't hear the timer for the first phase of baking (watching a movie), and the crust came out as a lovely shade of this-side-of burnt. Still edible, though. If my next door neighbor hadn't moved away a couple of months ago, I would've given it to him. He liked even my failures.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Larry, this is my lame but I agree with you that none have been as slick as the YouTube videos.
Mamma Mia !