Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Am I the only one here who goes camping?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Am I the only one here who goes camping?

by Jenise » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Well, there's camping and then there's camping. What we do is theoretically glamping, according to others, but to me it's just the adult version of what I used to do in high school--get any car anyone would let me have for a day and go for long drives all over southern California. I don't think of our van as an RV so much as a luxurious touring car I can sleep in.

Since I'm all about food, I look forward all day each day to preparing healthy, elegant meals, usually with ingredients collected during that day's drive. Thursday, for lunch we had a garbanzo bean and purple cauliflower salad with the ripest of farm stand tomatoes. For dinner, I roasted a real Mae West of a chicken breast on my little Coleman stove (which has a small burner plus small grill in a unit about two feet wide and only five inches tall, which fits under the sofa that turns into our bed) which I sliced and served over a bed or orzo seasoned with fresh lemon and pepper. I'd salted and bagged Mae after purchasing it earlier in the day, and at the same time I sliced up some fat cucumbers for a crunchy pickle that was our salad course later on. For breakfast the next morning, sausage, cucumber pickles and delicious plums of a type I've never seen before (called Amber Rubies) with coffee.

Oh, and blueberry sorbet--the discovery of the trip. Wow.

Seriously, no one else we see eats like this. They live on snack food and hot dogs, eat sandwiches brought from home or purchased somewhere en route, or heat up something from a can. We occasionally see a steak out there, or very occasionally the smell of bacon wafts over from another campsite, but as a rule--no. People think of cooking as a chore and regard camping as a release from that. I'll never forget the couple in Idaho who wandered over to check out our champagne and were blown away at our two-course dinner, salad followed by grilled shrimp with gnocchi in a gorgonzola sauce. They'd had a frozen pizza from the camp office.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. We're back home now hoping for another getaway next week.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Am I the only one here who goes camping?

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Chicken Boobies, Amber Rubies, and Sorbet Bluebies.

Got it.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:05 pm

We don't camp. We "glamp" at backcountry lodges. Not this year though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm

Pam and I usually only camp in backcountry places where there are no hotel rooms. This summer, we had to turn down a permit we drew to our favorite place to camp - Yellowstone campsite 2S6, in the Third Meadow of Slough Creek. We ended up spending our entire stay in rather expensive YNP Lodges by Xanterra. We have frequently stayed in the Roosevelt Cabins, also run by Xanterra, that have no plumbing; there are bathroom buildings with shared toilet, sink and shower facilities. We stay there because of location, location and location; best wolf watching, bear watching, and fly fishing in the park. The Roosevelt area is closed this year due to the pandemic.

When we first camped in Slough Creek years ago, I decided that freeze-dried was not going to cut it. Over the years, especially with the addition of outfitters with horses to carry stuff, we evolved to carrying single-serving meals in FoodSaver bags that left the trailhead under dry ice. My go-to recipes are Beef Bourguignon, orichetti (pasta, garlic, onions, garlic, tomatoes, sausage and garlic,) pork marsala and lasagna. I put the bags in a pot of water and boil until hot. Place the bag in a bowl; slice open the bag and eat out of it. The bag goes in the very carefully stored garbage and the bowl is never in contact with the food. This makes bear safety protocol easier.

Because of the pandemic, I packed said dinners for every night on the entire trip, as most food outlets in the park are closed. We boiled water with a propane backpacking stove on the terrace in front of the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. We got to watch the elk mommies and babies browse on the lawn while we ate much better than most of the tourists.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:21 am

Jim Cassidy wrote:Pam and I usually only camp in backcountry places where there are no hotel rooms. This summer, we had to turn down a permit we drew to our favorite place to camp - Yellowstone campsite 2S6, in the Third Meadow of Slough Creek. We ended up spending our entire stay in rather expensive YNP Lodges by Xanterra. We have frequently stayed in the Roosevelt Cabins, also run by Xanterra, that have no plumbing; there are bathroom buildings with shared toilet, sink and shower facilities. We stay there because of location, location and location; best wolf watching, bear watching, and fly fishing in the park. The Roosevelt area is closed this year due to the pandemic.

When we first camped in Slough Creek years ago, I decided that freeze-dried was not going to cut it. Over the years, especially with the addition of outfitters with horses to carry stuff, we evolved to carrying single-serving meals in FoodSaver bags that left the trailhead under dry ice. My go-to recipes are Beef Bourguignon, orichetti (pasta, garlic, onions, garlic, tomatoes, sausage and garlic,) pork marsala and lasagna. I put the bags in a pot of water and boil until hot. Place the bag in a bowl; slice open the bag and eat out of it. The bag goes in the very carefully stored garbage and the bowl is never in contact with the food. This makes bear safety protocol easier.

Because of the pandemic, I packed said dinners for every night on the entire trip, as most food outlets in the park are closed. We boiled water with a propane backpacking stove on the terrace in front of the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. We got to watch the elk mommies and babies browse on the lawn while we ate much better than most of the tourists.

Jim, I knew someone like you would come along and make me look like a pampered wuss (which I am, of course). But at least you didn't shame me with granola and kale. :) You're the real deal; and being you (and Pam) in a place like Yellowstone must be magical. We spent a few weeks there a few years back in our van; tried to stay longer but ran out of cancellations with which we could extend our stay; at least, while there, we got to move around and visit all the places you mention. Sounds like you dine very well indeed--rustic doesn't have to be rough.

Was a time in my life I wanted to do backcountry type camping but then I married Bob who's definitely not a backpack kind of guy. But at least we're not Class A types that think they're camping while getting 7 mpg and hooking up to cable in RV parks. Our little van efficiently gets 22 mpg and is happiest off the grid next to rocks and rivers.

While out and about in that area did you try Yellowstone wines or meet the owner-winemaker, Clint Peck? He's the brother of a neighbor of mine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Jenise said:

While out and about in that area did you try Yellowstone wines or meet the owner-winemaker, Clint Peck?

I have not, never thought about looking for local wine there. Where are they located?

Was a time in my life I wanted to do backcountry type camping but then I married Bob who's definitely not a backpack kind of guy.

I have only backpacked a few times, as I found much better ways to transport comfort into the wilderness. I stopped backpacking in the desert when I discovered multi-day river trips; you can take the kitchen sink. I've gone with an outfitter and on our own. Pam and I stopped backpacking in Yellowstone when we decided we could afford drop-camp services from an outfitter.

Maybe Bob could get into a guided river trip or guided overnight horse packing trip. Either will get you to extreme places, and you never have to carry a thing. You could also negotiate with the outfitter and head guide about you doing a bit of the cooking they would normally provide. Feed the wranglers and boatman and you could become a legendary client in the industry. :lol:
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:14 pm

We don't camp, but have stayed at rather rustic lodges. Most within National Parks. Like the Old Faithful Inn. Similar, but more classy, is the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. I'd return to the latter over the former. The Inn has just too much tourist traffic, typically. Who knows about now?

We have dear friends who had an RV. And they camp extensively. Now it's a great way to visit people because they just park in the driveway and have their safe little coccoon with kitchen, bath, etc. More safe than using a guest room, family really appreciates the setup.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm

When we bought our van we never imagined driveway camping, Pat, but indeed pre-Covid that happened. We essentially bring a bedroom to homes that may not have enough guest rooms.

But RV's these days are ridiculous. On the big ones the standard is five TV's. Honestly, if you can't live without cable TV, you shouldn't leave home.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:42 pm

Jim Cassidy wrote:I have not, never thought about looking for local wine there. Where are they located?

His winery is in Billings, but the wines are all over the Park, as you'd expect.

Maybe Bob could get into a guided river trip or guided overnight horse packing trip. Either will get you to extreme places, and you never have to carry a thing. You could also negotiate with the outfitter and head guide about you doing a bit of the cooking they would normally provide. Feed the wranglers and boatman and you could become a legendary client in the industry. :lol:

Now you're talking my language! I've never considered hiring an outfitter. And of course now that we have a very expensive van in the driveway, there's a need to use it. Glad to have it now, though; it's perfect for Covid times. We can take our isolation with us.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Welcome, Tetiana. Where do you camp?