Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Another version of Smashed Cucumber Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Another version of Smashed Cucumber Salad

by Jenise » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:39 pm

This is much closer to what I do than the previous recipe posted in that the sauce ingredients are essentially white, or close enough. Flavors will be brighter too, I think.

1 pound 5 ounces thin-skinned cucumbers, such as English or Persian (anywhere from 2 to 6 cucumbers, depending on the size)
1 teaspoon sea salt

For the dressing:
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil
2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons fish sauce, such as Red Boat brand
1 or 2 Thai or serrano chiles, seeded, if desired, and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced or grated on a Microplane

For serving
Toasted sesame seeds
Handful Thai basil (or substitute mint)

DIRECTIONS
Make the smashed cucumbers
Trim the ends of the cucumbers and cut each in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 2- to 3-inch (5- to 7.6-cm) chunks.

Place the cucumbers, cut-side down, on a work surface. Using a rolling pin or a cast iron skillet, gently smash the cucumber chunks to break open the cucumber, letting them split wherever they naturally fall apart.

☞ TESTER TIP: To keep cucumber seeds from spewing everywhere when you smash the cucumber, consider placing a small piece of plastic wrap over the cucumber before smashing them.
Place the cucumbers in a colander over a bowl and toss with the salt. Let drain for at least 30 minutes. You want the cucumbers to still be crisp but the interior will turn somewhat translucent, juicy, and flexible.

Make the dressing
In a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients until combined.

Add the cucumbers to the dressing and toss well. If at all possible, cover and refrigerate the cucumbers for at least several hours to let the flavors meld.

To serve
Sprinkle the cucumbers with sesame seeds and torn basil and serve
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov