Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mushrooms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Mushrooms

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 pm

I have a couple of pounds of baby bella mushrooms and a pound of royal oak shiitakes. Any ideas?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Mushrooms

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 pm

Slice and roast them. Or use them to make a wondrous risotto. (You may have more than enough for that, though, unless you're feeding a crowd.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 am

Make a duxelles recipe, separate into packets (1/2 to 1 C) and freeze to use in later recipes.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:12 am

Jo Ann ftw!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 am

Toss them with oil and garlic salt, roast about 20 minutes. Let cool, then fill with goat cheese. To die for.

Slice the mushrooms and marinate all day with garlic, red wine vinegar, dried basil, EVOO, S&P. Serve over torn greens on a carpaccio of capicola, or similar charcuterie.

Slice thinly and lightly brown in a skillet, then add a similar dressing to above. While hot, spoon over butter lettuce for a wonderful wilted dinner salad. Highly recommend with syrah.

Make a stew with chunks of beef, and season with sherry and rosemary. Serve over toasted slices of your homemade bread.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:54 pm

I'm considering all the recipes suggested, but tonight I didn't have much time so I made a cream of mushroom soup with the baby bellas, a few white mushrooms, and some golden oak shiitakes. Plus I discovered a jar of porcini-truffle finishing sauce in the fridge, so I threw in a spoonful. Blenderized most of soup, leaving a few whole slices in the balance. Simple and good.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:05 pm

CoMS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Wow! I'm famous!! I never knew Andy Warhol had used me in one of his paintings!!!