Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What was your first cook book?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What was your first cook book?

by Jenise » Mon May 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Mine, not because I bought it but because I inherited it (my mother only had two cookbooks so far as I know), was The Sunset Cook Book (Food With a Gourmet Touch), copyright 1960, by the Sunset Mag Home Economics Editor (Home Ec, that's funny all by itself!) and a staff of six, which were, by the names, five definite women and one either/or. Published in California, I presume it represents what was a West Coast mentality of the time.

The paucity of food books in mom's collection is amusing to contemplate because she was a major reader and we had furniture dedicated to her book collection. She was also considered a very good cook; we ate more diversely than any of my friends even though new dishes didn't show up very often. She didn't even have a Joy of Cooking or any of the other comprehensive compendiums for housewives of the era. I don't recognize a single recipe in this book as food she ever made.

Out of sentiment, I still have it. Probably haven't opened it in 30 years though, so yesterday I read thru it to see to what extent it stands up over time (not much). Several things stood out.

1) Pimientos, sometimes specified as canned but sometimes just "1 pimiento", are called for in about every fourth recipe. Quite often in tandem with green bell peppers, but never green peppers alone. Pimiento red was clearly their go-to method for making food pretty.

2) Catsup is everywhere as an ingredient. About every other time, also with Worcestershire sauce.

3) They weren't shy about calling for canned soup.

4) Herb use was very timid. In a dish calling for 4 lbs of chuck roast, for instance, they used just 1/8 tsp ea of three different herbs.

5) Ethnic recipes were often odd. A recipe for chicken enchiladas called for toothpicks to fasten the rolls shut, even though the tortilla was dipped/softened in heated sauce. Chicken Hawaiian's only authentic major ingredient was pineapple, albeit canned. The other principal ingredients were dates, almonds and--come on, guess!!--pimientos!

6) It was badly edited--the recipes must have been included as contributed or found, despite lots of sentences that begin with "we recommend...", usually having to do with silly garnishes (crab apples with tournedos is a must!) or presentation suggestions.

7) It's clear that all foods were to be put on platters and served family style. Several refer to a "chop plate" for arranging meats. This is a new term to me.

8 ) Speaking of poor editing, I laughed out loud over four chicken recipes on two facing pages. First ingredient in each was chicken all the same way but with four different descriptions meaning the same thing, i.e.: 1 frying chicken, cut up; 6-8 pieces chicken (wings, thighs, legs, breasts), 1 frying chicken in serving size pieces, etc.

9) A lot of the recipes made me gag. The two worst: Turkey and Oyster Fricasse, and Tuna Pancakes. In the latter, in a pan one combines chopped pimiento and green bell pepper (natch), 2 cans tuna*, butter and a lot of mayonnaise. Separately, you make 16 pancakes, stuff them with tuna mix, roll them up then place side by side in a baking dish. Bury that under sour cream and cheddar cheese, bake, and voila! Dinner.

*Tuna came in 7 ounce cans then, not six.

10) Anyone want a recipe for broiled mallard ducks? Got it for you right here. (No pimiento, but yes on the Worcestershire!)

11) Two recipes called for baby turkeys. WHA-AT?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What was your first cook book?

by Rahsaan » Mon May 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Ha! That's a different era alright.

My first cookbook was probably How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. She gave it to me shortly after I graduated from college. That was 20+ years ago and it's still the most-used of my cookbooks. I find it helpful for basic concepts about different ingredients or dishes. People have given me other more specific cookbooks since then, but I don't really need 'recipes' for flavor concepts or combinations. I can be inspired and do something related on my own. Plus the internet is such a great resource.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Woof. I did not have either Rahsaan's good fortune nor Jenise's bad. My mother made Shake 'n' Bake - that's as close to a recipe as she came. Somewhere early along the way, as a teenager, I got a looseleaf Betty Crocker cookbook; all I remember from it is Steak Diane.

It was not till graduate school that I got a Joy of Cooking, Silver Palate, and a really good (and concise) fish cookbook.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue May 05, 2020 3:46 am

I was fortunate to be given (by my mum). The Margaret Fulton Cookbook published in 1968
The Author sadly passed away recently. An Australian, this was the first of many books she published And she was immensely influential in getting Aussies to cook something other than meat and 3 veg.
Unlike Jenise’s book, this is well edited, decently laid out recipes which are easy to follow, well illustrated and with a wide range of recipes from standard family meals, baking, entertaining and international. Obviously well researched.
I’ve just had a quick flick through it and find things such as how to make coconut cream and milkso readily available now, but virtually unheard of at that time
Ducklings in orange or with RED WINE! (I still remember in the late seventies asking for a glass o red wine in a country pub and being served a seven ounce beer glass of port)
A proper recipe for mayo. Plus a recipe for ‘cooked salad dressing’ which many at the time would refer to as mayo.

A book I will always treasure and still use, her Bistro Cheesecake is my go to baked cheesecake, delicious and always works, I make it 5 or6 times a year for a local fundraiser morning tea and people often remark on it as the best they have ever tasted and that is totally down to Ms Fultons admirable re ipe.
I always use her recipes for Christmas cake and Christmas pud. And it is always worth a look for any traditional baking.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Tue May 05, 2020 3:50 am

The Joy of Cooking.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 05, 2020 8:45 am

My mom had a ton of cookbooks and we were a foodie family (by '50s standards), so I grew up looking at them. The Joy of Cooking was the bible, but we also had a bunch of local regional cookbooks from places like Boone Tavern and Shaker Village. As a young adult, the earliest books I can remember were the 24-volume Time Life Foods of the World set, which were beautiful but too expensive for me, so I worked through them with library borrows. :mrgreen: They really launched me on an interest in international cookery, and made certain that the first cookbook I bought for myself was Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cookbook, followed closely by Frankie Lappé's Diet for A Small Planet (stereotypical, I know). From there, it wasn't long before I had a bookshelf full.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm

My first cookbook was The Joyce Chen Cook Book. We were watching a rerun of "Joyce Chen Cooks" on public TV in which she demonstrated how to grow mung bean sprouts at home.* The episode ended with a simple pork and bean sprout stir-fry. Growing bean sprouts appealed to me as a just-graduated Biology major. My mother copied down the stir-fry recipe. We got dried mung beans at a local health food store, and a week later I had a couple of quarts of bean sprouts. My mother said, "what are you going to do with them now?" I replied, "You're going to cook that bean sprout recipe." She said, "No, YOU'RE going to cook that recipe. You're going off to grad school, and it's high time you learned to cook." The recipe came out delicious. I was hooked, and bought Joyce Chen's cookbook. Hers are still my go-to recipes for wontons and for red-cooked chicken.

-Paul W.

* In 1972, the only bean sprouts you could get at US grocery stores were canned. They were dreadful.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Robin, you remind me that my depressed mother somehow got one of those Time-Life books, the French Provincial one. I don't know how (a gift, perhaps) as she'd long since traded in secular books for Jehovah's Witness inhouse publications. To a 12 year old, the T-L book was as much about travel as about food, so not a cookbook per se (my mother died young, and family meals became my job) in the burbs of Whittier, California. I read it and admired it without actually finding it useful, but until you mentioned it within the context of this thread I hadn't realized how much that book's existence in the household probably influenced my early worship of French cooking. That and Graham Kerr's show, anyway, which was my first real foodie education.

When I was 18 or 19 I subscribed to Bon Appetit. In a way, those magazines were the first 'cookbook' I chose for myself. I was now completely self-supporting and not set up for much experimentation, but nonetheless the mags provided an early and ongoing patter that set the bar higher than The Sunset Cook Book ever could have in the impressionable mind of a dreamer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 05, 2020 2:57 pm

Not sure which one was first. I do know that the America's Test Kitchen Cookbook is the one I use the most.

I also have four times as many bread books, as I do regular cookbooks.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 05, 2020 9:37 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I also have four times as many bread books, as I do regular cookbooks.

Even after slimming down over a couple of moves in the past th- th- thirty years or so, I still have a couple of shelves of cookbooks. A fair share of them are bread books. Not a majority of the shelf footage, but a half-dozen of them rank among my favorites: Two by Bernard Clayton, one by Joe Ortiz, and two hardcovers by Peter Reinhart plus a couple more Reinhart Kindle editions.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 07, 2020 3:09 pm

I think my mom's go-to cookbook growing up was Better Homes and Gardens , though she had the Betty Crocker as well.

I think the Silver Palate New Basics was first cookbook I really had and cooked out of (probably close to 30 years ago). Still occasionally use, but for "general" cookbook Bittman Everything is used more. But nothing really dominates now. In average month almost certainly something from Ottolenghi, Kylie Kwong,. David Chang, Gabrielle Hamilton, etc. Several Asian books we use. But internet and especially NYT probably main sources now.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I think my mom's go-to cookbook growing up was Better Homes and Gardens , though she had the Betty Crocker as well.

I think the Silver Palate New Basics was first cookbook I really had and cooked out of (probably close to 30 years ago). Still occasionally use, but for "general" cookbook Bittman Everything is used more. But nothing really dominates now. In average month almost certainly something from Ottolenghi, Kylie Kwong,. David Chang, Gabrielle Hamilton, etc. Several Asian books we use. But internet and especially NYT probably main sources now.

What I loved about the Silver Palate book was that it was truly basic with roasting tables and all that, but that it aimed so much higher than the pineapple-ring-makes-it-fancy books our mothers had. The Silver Palate book was badly needed and the most amazing thing about it was that no one else thought of writing one like it first.

After Bob's mom passed I brought home her and her mother's copies of the Better H&G book. Both printed in the 40's but one during the war and one after. Again--cultural artifacts, as the wartime book had a whole chapter on "variety meats" and includes occasional references to food stamps and rations. Too, they're family artifacts. Both were the only books either woman had, and every outside recipe they collected over the years (a lot, especially Granny Ruth's wartime book) was inserted into the book like bookmarks. Each was obviously very well used and loved. I wasn't close to Bob's mom and only met Ruth once, but they're a testament to a time nonetheless and I can't bear to toss them out.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm

"To Serve Man"
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 07, 2020 10:07 pm

Jenise wrote:After Bob's mom passed I brought home her and her mother's copies of the Better H&G book. Both printed in the 40's but one during the war and one after. Again--cultural artifacts, as the wartime book had a whole chapter on "variety meats" and includes occasional references to food stamps and rations. Too, they're family artifacts. Both were the only books either woman had, and every outside recipe they collected over the years (a lot, especially Granny Ruth's wartime book) was inserted into the book like bookmarks. Each was obviously very well used and loved. I wasn't close to Bob's mom and only met Ruth once, but they're a testament to a time nonetheless and I can't bear to toss them out.

:D
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 08, 2020 2:11 am

Fannie Farmer's Cookbook given to me my my Nana when I was about 12.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 08, 2020 8:47 am

Jo Ann! WELCOME BACK! :D It's good to see your face.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri May 08, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks, Chef!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 am

It really is good to see you, Jo Ann. I don't think I qualify as a Chef, though. Just a guy who likes to cook and eat. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Fannie Farmer's Cookbook given to me my my Nana when I was about 12.

Jo Ann! You must have heard me talking about you--I served pickled corn last night with ribs. It was my first attempt at socially distant entertaining--two couples at each of the long ends of a dining table, food served on platters, with each couple given their own set of alcohol-sprayed clean tongs for serving themselves with. We dined on the patio. Worked out perfectly, we were all so happy to spend time together again. They LOVED the corn. Welcome back.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 09, 2020 11:43 am

Bill Spohn wrote:"To Serve Man"

Ah, yes. That one gave a whole new meaning to "Swift Premium".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat May 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:"To Serve Man"

Ah, yes. That one gave a whole new meaning to "Swift Premium".

-Paul W.

Wondered if there were any Damon Knight (or Twilight Zone) fans here! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Actually, I confess I had to look it up. It was odd enough to pique my interest. My first thought was actually of Jack Williamson's humanoids. The slogan embossed on each humanoid was something like that.

Good to see there are other Jonathan Swift fans here, too.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat May 09, 2020 12:44 pm

Funny - I just posted a glib comment on another forum about clarinetist Robert Marcellus, asking if he was Winton's cousin (note that the spelling of the surname is different) and got a serious reply assuming that I had really meant the question seriously (sigh).

And I once posted the phrase "Gort - Klaatu barada nikto!) on a scifi group and got similarly blank responses.

I don't actually recall what my first cookbook was but I suspect that it was the complete collection fo Graham Kerr's writings - this was back around 1970 somewhere. I still have the Galloping Gourmet set!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:And I once posted the phrase "Gort - Klaatu barada nikto!) on a scifi group and got similarly blank responses.

Now that one I recognize immediately.

I don't actually recall what my first cookbook was but I suspect that it was the complete collection fo Graham Kerr's writings - this was back around 1970 somewhere. I still have the Galloping Gourmet set!

I own The Graham Kerr Cookbook. When I first got it, I was a bit taken aback by its totally serious approach, as opposed to the flamboyant TV show. One of these days I have to try to make his recipe for traditional English pork pies.

-Paul W.
Next