Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Paul Winalski » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:48 pm

That chicken with black bean sauce sounds delicious.

Last night I made Sichuan dry-fried beef. The main seasoning is Pixian doubanjiang, but chile oil and roasted, ground Sichuan peppercorns are added at the end to give it that mala kick. I used the tribute pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon was enough to send the mala kick past the goalpost and into the stands behind the end zone.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:38 pm

Paul, I'm once again reminded of the obvious fact that you have a higher heat tolerance than anyone I personally know. I do love hot food, as you know, but I am a piker compared to you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:11 pm

Yesterday I spontaneously bought a piece of Atlantic salmon on my way home from a late shopping trip. That dislodged a long ago memory of travelling to this area on business from So Cal where we lived at the time, and dining at a restaurant that offered 'poached' as one of several options for salmon preparation. I loved it, and haven't had anything like it since. Never, for no reason I can think of, made it that way myself.

Running on instinct, when I got home I filled a wide pan halfway with water, white vermouth, peppercorns, two bay leaves and chunks of vegetables. Let that simmer for half an hour while we enjoyed a salad, then gently lowered in the fileted fish pieces and left on the stove covered, flame off, for six minutes. The result was perfect, a flavor so clean and pure but enhanced by the subtle flavors in the poaching liquid. Served them with steamed brussels sprouts and sprinkled melted butter with fresh dill over all.

I feel like a fool living here for 20 years now and never having it occur to me to do this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:55 pm

On the stove right now, a pot of gigante beans--first time ever for cooking that variety. These are in fact the first I've ever seen in dried form.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:13 am

Braised Beef Short Ribs are on the menu tonight, coated with salt, pepper, and Piment d' Espelette . Cooked with carrots, dry red wine, beef stock, tomato paste, fresh thyme and rosemary. A side dish of green beans and bell peppers cooked with dry sherry, Balsamic vinegar, pepper, and Parmigiano Reggiano. Israeli Couscous with butter, fresh lemon, garlic, and parsley are also on the menu.
Piment d' Espelette is a favorite spice of mine and it is grown right here in beautiful Northern CA
https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/wine/a ... 845800.php
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:31 am

Jenise wrote:On the stove right now, a pot of gigante beans--first time ever for cooking that variety. These are in fact the first I've ever seen in dried form.

What type of bean are they?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Here is another story from Boonville
https://www.altaonline.com/dispatches/a ... boonville/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:00 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Jenise wrote:On the stove right now, a pot of gigante beans--first time ever for cooking that variety. These are in fact the first I've ever seen in dried form.

What type of bean are they?

Called 'gigante'. Not sure where they're native to, but I note that Greek food purveyor Divina sells them canned in tomato sauce. (And Trader Joe's sells a canned version.) They're huge--one bean is a bite. They have a great mouthfeel and put excellent starch into the cooking water. We loved the beans I made last week.

Tonight I'm trying (again) turkey cordon bleu because I got a fresh and boneless turkey breast in Canada. Have never been able to find anything like that here.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:32 am

Jenise, it sounds like the ones Rancho Gordo has which are called Royal Corona, a substantial white bean, great pot liquor, and I've seen them referred to as a baby baked potato. A half pound of those babies make a lot of servings.
Also, I am curious about the fact that you cannot find boneless, turkey breasts. Does the grocer where you shop not have a meat dept, which could cut and process a turkey breast for you?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:38 pm

That Royal Corona sounds about right, Karen.

Re Turkey, no. Only around the holidays do they part out turkeys around here, and none would be fresh like the one I got in Canada. This is really a dismal place where groceries are concerned.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:01 am

Kind of international tonight: chicken breasts with mole sauce, organic Thai golden jasmine rice, and fried green tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:40 am

Last night, after a horrific day that began before lunch with a 911 call, we returned home about 8:00 in a state of starvation. It only took me about 12 minutes to turn fresh ground chicken (god bless Mary's air chilled brand), diced water chestnuts, diced onion, diced baby bok choy, slivered bamboo in chili oil and peanuts in a few glugs of oyster sauce with red chile flakes and a lot of white pepper into a crumbly pile of wokness for scooping into lettuce leaves and eating out of hand. So easy, so delicious, and faster than waiting for take-out.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:41 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Kind of international tonight: chicken breasts with mole sauce, organic Thai golden jasmine rice, and fried green tomatoes.

Sounds like a fun dinner Larry, I like those types.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:11 pm

I'll be making dhansak, an Indian dal-and-vegetable dish from the Parsi community. It often has meat added but I'll be making the vegan version. It'd been a long time since I last made it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm

Paul, I'll look that dish up. Not familiar with it but its the kind of thing we are eating more of lately so thanks for mentioning it.

Today I'm stewing a chicken. Was planning to roast it but the oven is kaput so into the pot it will go.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:28 pm

Dhansak is pretty straightforward to make, but it has a long ingredients list including some obscure (in the US, anyway) things such as fresh fenugreek leaves. And the dried spice powder (dhansak masala) is one of the most complicated I've seen in Indian cuisine. The long ingredients list is why I haven't made it very often. Fortunately a large Indian supermarket has opened in Nashua NH (15-minute drive for me) and I can get all the ingredients there.

-Paul W
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 pm

I love, LOVE, fenugreek. I own dried leaves but my supply is probably two years old now and this stuff fades faster than most. There's another name for fresh fenugreek greens, though, isn't there? A-something?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:08 pm

My cooking today is 1/2 of an organic Air Chilled Smart Chicken marinated in soy sauce, unsalted butter, garlic, fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper. The chicken will be roasted with large white mushrooms cut into 1-inch chunks, red onion wedges, tossed with olive oil, fresh French Tarragon leaves, salt, thyme, salt, and pepper.
A side dish of Roasted sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper—a garnish of cilantro at serving for some added color and flavor. Since I have a bunch of peppers, purple, yellow, and green, I may toss some into the mix.
Yep, a lot of peppers are eaten around here as I am a lover of colorful food, and the peppers grown here are outstanding. Plus I bought two bags the last two weeks, forgetting the second week I already had an unopened one at home.
A possible cucumber salad with fresh lime juice might be in the works if I have the energy
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:20 pm

Jenise, I believe fresh fenugreek leaves are called Methi.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:37 pm

Yes, methi is the Hindi name for fenugreek. Kasoori methi is Hindi for the dried leaves. The fenugreek plant is a legume and the leaves resemble clover leaves.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:44 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, I believe fresh fenugreek leaves are called Methi.

Yes, that's it! I have actually seen them--maybe not three times but I can swear to twice--at the local Kroger (Fred Meyer).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:52 pm

Last night I made kind of a beef bourgogne of sorts, using two thick Chuck Eye Steaks and a huge tub of crimini mushrooms. Added white wine and rosemary during the cook and finished it with a spoonful of Guinzhou (or something like that) black bean sauce. Added great punch and flavor without loading up the salt. Served it over warm grits, and loved every bite.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:42 pm

Today I'm having a group of people--the cooks brigade for the Wine Club Xmas dinner--over to discuss the menu, and will be demo-ing for them my smoked trout/leek/Boursin canapes that I propose for a passed appie at that event. Dinner will probably be leftovers (just like last night--more chicken soup.) I have so much to do and Bob isn't able to help anymore, so things are pretty simple around here.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:29 pm

Tonight I made jambalaya, well, "jambalaya" because there's a lot of ahem innovation in this pot. Also, still roasting up delicata squash cut into wide rings and seasoned with a mix of seeds and spices.

ETA: And an apple cake, and some dark chocolate orange-almond bark.
PreviousNext