Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 pm

I believe the Arborio also has more starch. Might be clumpier in the final result.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 pm

Last night I did filet mignons in a Cambezola-brandy pan sauce for old red wines. My neighbor brought over a '74 Georges Latour and I opened a '92 Pride.

Tonight we're having tomato salad--second one this week. Can't get enough of it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:45 am

I don't make risotto so arborio rice hasn't been on my radar screen. I don't recall seeing it in the supermarkets around here, but then again I have never looked for it. I did some reading up on paella and the consensus is that bomba and a few other Spanish varieties are the preferred rice to use, and that arborio, while a better fit than long-grain rices such as basmati or jasmine, is not really a substitute for bomba. Different water absorption and final texture. So since I was going to have to mail-order the rice anyway, I decided to go for the genuine article.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 am

Tonight it is a good hamburger. I use 80/20 beef for our hamburgers, add fresh garlic, Worchestershire Sauce, salt, and pepper. A fat slice of tomato, with flaky sea salt, red leaf lettuce, a roasted Hatch Chile, since I am using up what is in the freezer, on a lightly toasted pretzel bun. Have not decided what to spread on the bun yet, but leaning towards Fourth Creek Habenero Tomato relish. A side of marinated cucumbers and colorful young peppers with baby red onion.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:51 am

Paul, I did read that Italian Arborio makes a fine substitute for Bomba. However, Bomba is more authentic and does soak up more of the liquid. Think I will order another bag of it. Arboria is available here, but not Bomba.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:47 pm

No one has mentioned other short grain rices. Personally, I think Japanese (or California) short grain rice is much more comparable to bomba than arborio. The texture's great, just make sure to rinse it well. I've always got it on hand.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:53 pm

Oh and re burgers, we love green chile burgers but we don't add them to the traditional lettuce-tomato American burger (which I otherwise love). I marinate the chiles with vinegar, EVOO, salt and Mex oregano a little beforehand, and find that the tomato kind of cancels out the green chile flavor, which I want enhanced not cancelled. So, blasphemous as it might sound coming from a self-professed tomato-holic, try thinking of the green chiles as a tomato substitute, not addition. My favorite green chile burger uses tangy cheese like meunster or havarti, tame sliced sweet onions and arugula in place of lettuce. No sauce needed.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:19 pm

I have two short-grained rices: Chinese glutinous rice and Thai sticky rice. I don't think either would be suitable for paella. One recipe did mention Calrose as a substitute if you can't find bomba.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh and re burgers, we love green chile burgers but we don't add them to the traditional lettuce-tomato American burger (which I otherwise love). I marinate the chiles with vinegar, EVOO, salt and Mex oregano a little beforehand, and find that the tomato kind of cancels out the green chile flavor, which I want enhanced not cancelled. So, blasphemous as it might sound coming from a self-professed tomato-holic, try thinking of the green chiles as a tomato substitute, not addition. My favorite green chile burger uses tangy cheese like meunster or havarti, tame sliced sweet onions and arugula in place of lettuce. No sauce needed.

Hard to beat a green chile cheeseburger.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:28 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I have two short-grained rices: Chinese glutinous rice and Thai sticky rice. I don't think either would be suitable for paella. One recipe did mention Calrose as a substitute if you can't find bomba.

-Paul W.

Calrose! That's the name I was trying to think of but just settled for 'California'. :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 am

Your hamburger suggestion sounds great Jenise, will give that a try. I had the weirdest experience with the beef yesterday. It was from Trader Joe's which I rarely buy any meat from them but picked up the package when I was there last. I defrosted in fridge overnight, pulled it out yesterday, and added the garlic, and Worchestershire sauce, and noticed it was very sticky. It smelled fine, tasted fine, but was so sticky I could not use the little hamburger press, which I love for making just the right thickness for us. It was really a mess, would not form burger patties, could not get it off my hands. So I ended up with a blob instead of patties. They cooked up nicely, browned well, and we ate them with no after-effects. I HAVE NEVER experienced that before, any idea about the stickiness?
I did call Trader Joe's to inquire about it and all I got was, "oh, that happens sometimes". Never will buy meat from them again. No referral number to call, no offer to find out!
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:05 am

Paul Winalski wrote:The bomba rice that I ordered has arrived. Now I just have to find a source of good, fresh tomatoes and I can make that tomato paella.

-Paul W.

Lull Farm in Hollis has the best selection of heirloom tomatoes around.

Dan
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Your hamburger suggestion sounds great Jenise, will give that a try. I had the weirdest experience with the beef yesterday. It was from Trader Joe's which I rarely buy any meat from them but picked up the package when I was there last. I defrosted in fridge overnight, pulled it out yesterday, and added the garlic, and Worchestershire sauce, and noticed it was very sticky. It smelled fine, tasted fine, but was so sticky I could not use the little hamburger press, which I love for making just the right thickness for us. It was really a mess, would not form burger patties, could not get it off my hands. So I ended up with a blob instead of patties. They cooked up nicely, browned well, and we ate them with no after-effects. I HAVE NEVER experienced that before, any idea about the stickiness?
I did call Trader Joe's to inquire about it and all I got was, "oh, that happens sometimes". Never will buy meat from them again. No referral number to call, no offer to find out!

I call bunk. Sticky beef happens for lots of reasons, none of them good: (1) the meat was salted before grinding, (2) a meat glue was added, (3) a really low quality cut was mixed in, (4) spoilage bacteria. The most likely is the last so I'm glad to hear that you are fine today.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am

Really, it smelled ok, I tasted it raw, did not detect anything off. I have never heard of meat glue, will have to look into that.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:28 am

I have some leftover raw cauliflower that I'm turning into aloo gobi (North Indian-style potatoes and cauliflower). I'll be making some mung dal to go with it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:46 pm

Jenise wrote:Last night I did filet mignons in a Cambezola-brandy pan sauce for old red wines. My neighbor brought over a '74 Georges Latour and I opened a '92 Pride.

Tonight we're having tomato salad--second one this week. Can't get enough of it!

Jenise, how do you make your tomato salad? I use a very simple recipe, sourdough bread cut into cubes and toasted in a pan with garlic salt and a little olive oil. Then all colors of cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, kalamata olives, fresh basil, with red wine, olive oil, and garlic vinaigrette. The crowning glory is fresh marjoram from my garden. Have you tried marjoram in your salads? It gives a wonderful flowery note which I love.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Re the bad burger meat, meat glue was the first thing that occurred to me. Scary.

Karen, re the tomato salad, there's no one set way I approach it--always a what-I-have-on-hand situ. In this case, though, I sliced the toms thin and layered them with fresh basil and a wonderful ricotta cheese called Buf. (I know nothing about the brand, except that it's the best I've ever tried, tastes homemade.) Drizzled EVOO over and served with toasted local sourdough wheat.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:23 pm

Tonight is Carne Asada Tacos with Cilantro Lime Garlic Crema, I used a Flank Steak. Also Mexican Fries, and in the slow cooker, I have Alubia Blanca, a small white Spanish Heirloom Bean, cooking in onion and chicken broth. Mexican Oregano, salt, and pepper will be added later. I like to drizzle my beans with Rancho Gordos Pineapple Vinegar at serving. Tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado slices will go into corn tortillas, browned on the comal, with the meat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:27 pm

The tacos sound great, Karen. Do you have a comal at an outdoor bbq you use? I saw Redding on the morning news, btw, going to be HOT in your neck of the woods. And you're surrounded by fires it looks like. Really tough days, hope you and your family remain safe.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:50 pm

I could use the comal at the outdoor bbq side burner, but I use it inside on my cooktop.
Yes, summers here in Redding are scorchers and I hate this season here. The rest of the year is fabulous. Forests are burning down because of mismanagement (politics) and we are in a drought. Not fun to be losing quaint little towns with tons of history and family homes with a rich heritage, not to mention the trees, lives of people, animals, and businesses.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:20 am

Tonight was Son of the Revenge of the Fideua. I'm getting the hang of it, becoming more and more what I want it to be, but it is still too wet. Reducing broth from 4 c to 3 c next time.

Previous installament: http://forums.wineloverspage.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56896&p=488518&#p488492
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:55 pm

Tonight it is a rack of lamb, coated with garlic salt, fresh rosemary, pepper, a bit of olive oil. Greek potatoes
(https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/evely ... ious-15995)
The veggie is fresh green beans with cherry tomatoes, garlic, basil, a bit of sugar, and butter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:05 pm

Karen, I grieve for your area every summer. Such a shame.

The Greek Potatoes sound absolutely delicious. Today's Meatless Monday here at Chez J and I haven't decided on dinner yet. Well, I was going to make a pilaf of some kind with that chick pea 'rice' I posted about, but now I want your potatoes. What to do, what to do.

Btw, I'm mad about citrus, garlic and lemon (or lime) juice. You once posted a recipe called Rao's chicken, which I've done many many times. I silently thank you every time I do. I don't repeat a lot of things, but that's one of the few I do--couldn't live without it. These potatoes are essentially a meatless version of that dish. What's not to love.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:04 pm

Garlic, fresh lemon, one can never go wrong, love love it. And the Greek Potatoes were great. Just like Evelyn from Athens says, "the ones that stick to the bottom are mine."
PreviousNext