Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, I have noticed out-of-stock lamb at Costco. If chops are out, they usually have a lamb rack and vice versa. The meat store I mentioned above usually has lamb shanks but at super high prices and veal shanks are $16.99 lb.

Up here, it's been nada. Costco usually has racks, boneless leg roasts and loin chops, but lately it's been none of any. Just beef, pork and chicken. And like I said the lamb shortage has been all over town, including Safeway and Trader Joe's--the only exception being that from small local farms. That's a deal on the veal shanks. We're seeing beef up here at $18-20 a lb now, I fear the pandemic inflation might be here to stay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Tonight was Dover sole with brown butter sauce. And made some tomato herb bread, which I haven't tasted yet.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:04 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Tonight was Dover sole with brown butter sauce.

That sounds good. Reminds me to go look for skate at the fish store. :D
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 am

Tonight, a refreshing, cold pasta salad with Conchiglie Pasta, Persian cukes, heirloom tomatoes and sweet cherry of all colors, red and orange bell peppers, red onion, kalamata olives, parsley, dill, feta cheese. A bright vinaigrette with evoo, fresh lemon juice, honey, garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, dijon, red wine vinegar, s & p. Served with sourdough bread made with whole roasted garlic cloves.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:26 pm

That pasta salad sounds great.

We've been dealing with a family emergency so haven't been cooking inventive meals. However, friends are coming tonight for a whisky tasting. My all-American menu will be tasting snacks of Beef Jerky, popcorn seasoned with barbecue powder, and carrots pickled with coriander seed and star anise. Dinner will be a Joel Robuchon potato and bacon gratin plated with a garlicky romaine salad. Dessert is lemon, blueberry and basil sorbet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:

Look for skate at the fish store. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:47 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:

Look for skate at the fish store. :mrgreen:

Chondrichthyes are fish, just not bony. Or did you mean something else?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Jeff, he was reminding you....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Jeff, he was reminding you....

Oh. :oops:

(Cue Emily Letella:) Never mind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Tonight I'm doing Petrale sole. In the last few years it's become plentiful and has become my favorite local fish. I favor mild white fish anyway. Not sure how I'll prepare it yet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Tonight will be burgers and hot dogs at a friend's croquet party. Am going to make and take a veggie side dish for self-defense.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Tonight we are having Beef Short Ribs in Roasted Hatch Chili and Chipotle Pepper Sauce. Sides will be a Tomato Paella with Arborio Rice, onion, garlic, tomato paste Spanish pimentõn and saffron. Roasted veggies consisting of fennel, long red and yellow peppers I picked up at Farmer's Market which the grower labeled, "roasting peppers", fresh lemon wedges, thyme springs, and a few carrots.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:12 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:...long red and yellow peppers I picked up at Farmer's Market which the grower labeled, "roasting peppers"...

I used to be able to get some long, slightly curly red peppers that the grocer called "frying peppers" or "farmer's peppers". They were sweet and tasty.

For roasting I just use any old sweet red peppers I find at the store.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Tonight we are having Beef Short Ribs in Roasted Hatch Chili and Chipotle Pepper Sauce. Sides will be a Tomato Paella with Arborio Rice, onion, garlic, tomato paste Spanish pimentõn and saffron. Roasted veggies consisting of fennel, long red and yellow peppers I picked up at Farmer's Market which the grower labeled, "roasting peppers", fresh lemon wedges, thyme springs, and a few carrots.

Tell us more about your tomato paella. That's an intriguing thought.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:30 am

Using some home produce.
A friend coming to stay for a few days (when we get out of lockdown#5) likes jam on his toast and I don’t have any on hand so I’ve made a few jars of lemon butter, enough so there is a jar for my marmalade supplier as well.
And my olives, picked three months ago and brined, were ready for the final step and have gone under oil with garlic, lemon Rosemary and thyme.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:15 am

Jenise,
Here is the recipe I use. I have been making this for years. Comes out looking just like the picture and is totally delicious in its simplicity. Make a pretty presentation, as you can see...
https://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the_w ... ans-t.html
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:44 am

Last night I made Thai green curry with beef (thinly-sliced flank steak in this case), cauliflower, and green bell pepper.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:35 pm

B/S chicken thighs are marinating in dijon mustard, dry white vermouth and loads of tarragon. Those will be dredge in a 50/50 flour/cornmeal combo and oven roasted on sheet pans until crusty. One of the simplest and most divine of dinners. Brother and BIL are going to join us, will serve various veggie sides not all dreamed up just yet, but likely involving purple daikons, tomatoes and artichokes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Using some home produce.
A friend coming to stay for a few days (when we get out of lockdown#5) likes jam on his toast and I don’t have any on hand so I’ve made a few jars of lemon butter, enough so there is a jar for my marmalade supplier as well.
And my olives, picked three months ago and brined, were ready for the final step and have gone under oil with garlic, lemon Rosemary and thyme.

How cool you made your own olives. Have your own tree?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:38 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise,
Here is the recipe I use. I have been making this for years. Comes out looking just like the picture and is totally delicious in its simplicity. Make a pretty presentation, as you can see...
https://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the_w ... ans-t.html

Printed it, it's on the menu for tomorrow. BTW, ages ago a tomato paella recipe got printed in the NYT and Stuart Yaniger raved about it. Tomatoholic that I am, I always meant to hunt that down; since Mark Bittman used to write for the NYT I presume this is that recipe! Can't tell you how excited I am to get it, FINALLY. Like I said--tomorrow! Thank you so much for posting the link!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 am

How cool you made your own olives. Have your own tree?[/quote]

Yes , we were given some olive trees when we bought our country property, one survived. After 10 years this is only my third harvest but the largest, 800 gram about 2 pounds in your money. Frankly this is enough for me. Hoping these will be as tasty as the small batch from the last harvest.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:44 am

Jenise, it is indeed the same recipe from the NYT.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Stuart Yaniger. There was a character!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:42 pm

Yes, was talking about him just the other day when discussing spouses who have entirely different tastes in food. His then-wife was a fast food burger junkie who dined this way solo most nights while he was a vegetarian and renowned home cook. Doesn't get much more opposite than that!
PreviousNext