Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Chris is that Boston chef mostly known for grilling etc? He was a big deal for awhile ten years or so ago but I haven't heard much about him since (more likely my fault than his).

You mentioning the trinity and beans, I am reminded that I made--once--a chicken sausage and white bean chili based on an Emeril Lagasse recipe. LOVED IT. It's really stupid that I've never made it again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Chris is that Boston chef mostly known for grilling etc? He was a big deal for awhile ten years or so ago but I haven't heard much about him since (more likely my fault than his).

You mentioning the trinity and beans, I am reminded that I made--once--a chicken sausage and white bean chili based on an Emeril Lagasse recipe. LOVED IT. It's really stupid that I've never made it again.

Yes, that's him. He was the chef/owner of the East Coast Grill - home of Pasta from Hell, Inner Beauty hot sauce (google it - someone else is making it now.), and Hell Night. The last I heard of him is that he opened a restaurant in Westfield MA (close to the RI border in wine country).

I have eaten at a couple of his places and I can't tell you how unimpressed I was. Dirty, pest infested, places. One night my late wife and I were at a wine tasting and he sat across from us. She didn't recognize him but I did. When the host introduced hi, she started to let into him until I mentioned that this wasn't the place.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:52 am

I didn't know that Inner Beauty hot sauce was still being made commercially. Chris Schlesinger published a home recipe for it that comes out very close to the original. I posted it here.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:03 pm

Last night... steamers!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Wonderful, Jeff, wonderful. I skipped dinner last night but tonight will make up for it: grilled halibut, chili butter, tomatillo sauce on avocado waffle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Last night... steamers!

Lucky you. I could eat a barrel of steamers. Way too expensive here.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:05 am

In NYC they have only a short season. When I lived in CT, it was easier to get steamers (and a pitcher of beer).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:05 am

Jenise wrote:grilled halibut, chili butter, tomatillo sauce on avocado waffle.

That sounds excellent but what is an avocado waffle?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:In NYC they have only a short season. When I lived in CT, it was easier to get steamers (and a pitcher of beer).

Back in my preschool years our family rented a cottage in Lyme, CT for a month each year. My parents used to drive to Niantic for clamming. When I was five they took me and my two-year-old brother on the trip. We had no interest in digging for clams, but we did have fun collecting starfish. At the end of the day we asked if we could dump our buckets in with my parents' bucket of clams. Assuming we had been clamming, they said yes. About 1/3 of the clams had been prized open and were being eaten by the starfish by the time we got back to Lyme.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:56 pm

Great story, Paul.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Funny story, Paul. And a little familiar: Pumpkin grew up in Deep River, CT, which is close to Lyme. His grandparents had a cottage on Cape Cod, near Dennis Beach, and he remembers going there in the summers with his parents (and baby brothers)... and clamming. Apparently, Papa Pumpkin was crystal clear about what to dig for. :lol:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:30 am

We vacationed every year in Rehoboth Beach, DE, and my uncle and I went crabbing. I remember going to fish stores to get fish heads for the traps.

Oh yeah, when I was 6, I caught my first fish (a flounder) at nearby Lewes, DE.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Stag again but this is a one-off: using up the last of my fancy Japanese golden sesame paste to make a batch of cold sesame noodles (fettucine), enhanced with cucumber, tasso, lemon, and Szechuan peppercorns.

Pasta and me have a thing going. 8)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:12 pm

That sounds good, Jeff!

Last night we had Chinese. We were stuck near Seattle for a ten hour ordeal at an emergency veterinarian, an area with a lot of Asian restaurants though most are strip mall bare bones things. We found a Chinese restaurant that had a real dining room and good Yelp reviews so went there. It was pretty bad. The moo shu pork arrived lukewarm and there was a powdery texture to it from uncooked corn starch. There was a similar cornstarch problem with the mongolian beef and the onions were way too strong, the lemon chicken was hot and crisp but should have been less sweet, and the BBQ pork fried rice was the weirdest (and the worst, but that's beside the point) I've ever had. It was full of strange, artificial red specks, which I eventually decided was ground fake bacon bits. I give up.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:34 pm

Oh, gosh, that sounds really terrible, Jenise. I'm not surprised that the Lemon Chicken was too sweet but the rest of it is... ahem... unusual.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:37 pm

And yet the restaurant was about half full at 5 p.m. and doing a fine take-away business. I note that although it portrays itself as a Chinese restaurant, Indian and Thai dishes were blended into the usual categories. Trying to do too much, maybe. But it remains true that I've lived here (in the Pac NW) for 17 years and have yet to have one really good Chinese dinner (except in Vancouver).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:33 am

Effing hot here and one of my AC units is on the fritz so it's tuna poke bowl: tuna, carrot, red pepper, snow pea pods, mushrooms (sauteed), and avocado on wheat berries. Simple dressing of equal parts soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, rice wine vinegar; and added handfuls of sesame seeds (both colors), nigella, "bouquet garni" mix, garlic, s+p, and red pepper flakes.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Tonight is a family favorite, Osso Buco, served with a saffron-scented Risotto Alla Milanese. Also, a sheet pan loaded up with Farmers Market haul this morning. Japanese Eggplant, summer squashes, red and purple bell peppers, couple of handfuls of all colors of sweet cherry tomatoes, and a couple of corn on cob cut in half which I needed to use up. Dressed with fresh lemon zest, s & p, fresh thyme, a little dried basil. Thank goodness I have an a/c dedicated to my kitchen! :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:11 pm

Osso buco! Fantastic. Lamb or veal? And are either easy to find in your area? Veal up here is close to nonexistent and so, in the pandemic, has lamb been.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:11 pm

We have veal shanks tonight, and yes we can get veal shanks easily and lamb is easy to find. Costco usually has lamb chops and lamb racks and so does our local R&R meats and Seafood. A wonderful locally owned business that makes things like jalapeno bacon and salmon marinated in blackberry or raspberry sauce. They will cut and pack to order.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:20 pm

Lucky you to have veal around, I envy that. And our Costco usually has lamb too but the last 6 or 8 months they frequently have zero. Part of the worldwide supply chain issues, it's almost nonexistent even in regular stores.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:43 pm

No idea what dinner will be tonight, though I might repeat Friday's dinner: two-hour baked potatoes topped with shaved truffles. I'm getting fresh Italian summer truffles for $20/ounce thru a wholesaler who's Pandemic-workaround is selling straight to customers like me to replace their restaurant business--I talked about them before.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:41 am

Made a pot of fresh tomato sauce; just chopped tomatoes, a handful of herbs, and a bit of butter and oil. 15 minutes to cook. Tasted great to me but much too watery for Pumpkin. So it goes.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:34 am

Jenise, I have noticed out-of-stock lamb at Costco. If chops are out, they usually have a lamb rack and vice versa. The meat store I mentioned above usually has lamb shanks but at super high prices and veal shanks are $16.99 lb.
PreviousNext