Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 24, 2021 6:50 pm

I actually don't recall Popsicle Pete. Sorry, Mom. Maybe it's because I'm only 29-1/2 years old. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 24, 2021 7:40 pm

You had to read the back of the label!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 24, 2021 8:20 pm

I remember Bazooka Joe, though.

I had a rare steak pho for lunch today, but took half of it (sans the steak) home. I reheated it for dinner tonight and added some thin slices of my roast tri tip from last night. Worked great.

Liquid Popsicle Orange Creamsicle wine, icy cold, was the perfect accompaniment. Mmm mmm. :wink:

FWIW, I saw Kellogg's Peeps Marshmallow Flavored Cereal with Marshmallows today. Almost bought a box for Edie. May yet. >gag<
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 25, 2021 2:15 am

Your Mom was Popsicle Pete?!?!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Yes, her job was to answer letters from kids. How fun is that?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 25, 2021 1:33 pm

Last night's chicken wokness was utterly fantastic. Silly girl, I should do that a LOT more often. Tonight we're going out to dinner with friends.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 25, 2021 5:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, her job was to answer letters from kids. How fun is that?

Does sound like a kick.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 25, 2021 6:27 pm

We're getting dinner out tonight but I made a splendid salad for lunch today: wilted fennel and spinach salad with a WASA cracker topped with the last of the smoked trout pate that I stretched with some mashed artichoke hearts and fresh tarragon. Absolutely divine. I'm having a real love affair with spinach salads lately. Started buying the real deal in bunches, painful as it is to wash, and the extreme flavor is so appealing. Forget that baby stuff in the bags, it doesn't have even a quarter of the flavor that the real deal does. Like most substitutes, not worth it. The basis of the hot dressing is always red wine vinegar, olive oil and garlic, and other seasonings can include dried or fresh herbs, bacon and/or tomatoes. There isn't always a topping, but graded Jarlsberg type cheese is always good.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue May 25, 2021 8:43 pm

Trying to clean out the fridge of things my husband will not use before I head east for 6 weeks. Had some leftover cod cakes and curry sauce so warmed them a bit and popped them beside a big pile of spinach and arugula from the garden, chunks of fresh radish and the last of the avocados in the drawer. Showered fresh dill ( invasive everywhere along with the garlic chives ) and dressed simply with lemon juice and olive oil. The fridge looks better ..... Have been inviting friends and neighbors to pick the snap peas, arugula, spinach, escarole which will be pumping while I'm gone. Hopefully won't miss the strawberries, serviceberries and cherries as it looks like it will be a good year for these fruits.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 25, 2021 9:09 pm

Jenise wrote:We're getting dinner out tonight but I made a splendid salad for lunch today: wilted fennel and spinach salad with a WASA cracker topped with the last of the smoked trout pate that I stretched with some mashed artichoke hearts and fresh tarragon. Absolutely divine. I'm having a real love affair with spinach salads lately. Started buying the real deal in bunches, painful as it is to wash, and the extreme flavor is so appealing. Forget that baby stuff in the bags, it doesn't have even a quarter of the flavor that the real deal does. Like most substitutes, not worth it. The basis of the hot dressing is always red wine vinegar, olive oil and garlic, and other seasonings can include dried or fresh herbs, bacon and/or tomatoes. There isn't always a topping, but graded Jarlsberg type cheese is always good.

I love spinach salads. Decades ago there was a restaurant in Minneapolis called Bombay Bicycle Club where I always ordered a wilted spinach salad and French onion soup. I also love WASA crackers. Wish I could bake them as well as the store-bought ones.

In order to beat someone else asking, what grade of Jarlsberg cheese do you recommend? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 26, 2021 1:37 pm

LOL, Larry, I deserved that.

But yeah, spinach salads are a great blank canvas. Superior food for your brain, too.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed May 26, 2021 5:21 pm

And spinach has made my forearms incredibly huge. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed May 26, 2021 6:00 pm

Yeah, I like that thing you do with squeezing the can and the spinach flies through the air and lands in your pipe!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 27, 2021 10:37 am

We had baked salmon last night. Rubbed it with habanero oil and crusted it with grated ginger and lots of black pepper--a favorite combo, and baked it at 250 for 40 minutes--a favorite prep method. Low and slow wins every time. Served it on short grain brown rice and asparagus, and a Pousse D'Or burgundy.

Today: ahi!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 27, 2021 11:56 am

I make Beijing meat sauce noodles a lot, but last night I tried a different recipe. The one I normally use is based on the recipes from Joyce Chen and Virginia Lee/Craig Claiborne. Jenise has mentioned that she is on a quest for berbere that tastes like what she used to enjoy with her Ethiopian friends. Similarly I've been on a quest for a Beijing meat sauce recipe that matches what I used to enjoy at Colleen's Chinese Cuisine in Cambridge, MA.

I prefer my old recipe to the one I tried last night. The new one has more ingredients and more complicated prep. But it did give me some ideas on how to move my recipe closer to what I had at Colleen's.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 27, 2021 12:35 pm

These quests are fun, aren't they? Gives you a reason to cook beyond just keeping onesself fed.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu May 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Jenise wrote:We had baked salmon last night. Rubbed it with habanero oil and crusted it with grated ginger and lots of black pepper--a favorite combo, and baked it at 250 for 40 minutes--a favorite prep method. Low and slow wins every time. Served it on short grain brown rice and asparagus, and a Pousse D'Or burgundy.

So, how does it come out? I always do a pan-fry because I want to crisp the skin and, anyway, I bard with sesame seeds and they need to cook.

Nice drink, too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 27, 2021 9:14 pm

Neither of us enjoy the skin so it gets chopped up and thrown on the patio for the seagulls. Our seagulls love me, and I never have decaying fish parts in the trash!!!

The resulting filet gets rubbed all over and pressed into the ginger and black pepper, lots of both. The result is gorgeous--silky and juicy but done (cook ten minute less if you want a rare center) without exuding the albumin. Perfect timing for people like us who always eat a first course salad. The main course just makes itself. No turning needed.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 28, 2021 3:27 am

Jenise wrote:Neither of us enjoy the skin so it gets chopped up and thrown on the patio for the seagulls.

Ah, dat ol' debbil Gustibus. Can't argue with him.

I douse the skin heavily with salt and, when that side of the fish gets its turn, 3.5 minutes on a hot cast iron pan turns it into an enormous expanse of 'bacon'.

The resulting filet gets rubbed all over and pressed into the ginger and black pepper, lots of both. The result is gorgeous--silky and juicy but done (cook ten minute less if you want a rare center) without exuding the albumin. Perfect timing for people like us who always eat a first course salad. The main course just makes itself. No turning needed.

Interesting. I'll have to give it a whirl.

The texture out of the frying pan is just fine, but it is more of a balancing act to keep it from going too firm. A lot of that comes from judging the thickness of the piece. There is also considerable variance, piece to piece, in how much salmon fat melts out from under the skin.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 am

Give it a try. Thickness won't matter much. I use 40 minutes for a 1.5 lb piece like the one described here or 45 for an entire 5 lb half a fish. In fact, that's where the idea of a slow roast came from, an Alice Waters recipe for doing a whole filet and topping it with a relish of raw herbs and chopped fresh meyer lemon (incl peel, which I love, though I do other toppings too). Apparently I'm the only person on the planet besides Alice who read that recipe--I've had pro chefs corner me about how I achieve that cake-like texture. And it's foolproof party food--gorgeous presentation to put a whole side of salmon uncut on a big platter with a pie server and just let people serve themelves as much or as little as they want.
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Fri May 28, 2021 1:45 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Richard L on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Today: salmon cakes for lunch with spinach salad. Dinner: seared ahi on rice with ginger sauce and cucumber salad.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 29, 2021 7:52 am

Tonight my brother's cooking and it will be lamb-stuffed peppers. RED MEAT! I finally get to eat RED MEAT!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun May 30, 2021 12:40 pm

Have tried to switch to lower glycemic index carbs in salads and stuffed vegetables. Freekeh makes a terrific substitution for rice or crumbs in lamb stuffed peppers or eggplant with Middle Eastern seasoning profile.
Another favorite is the California organic brown rice offered at Rancho Gordo. Just terrific.
Although not totally sure about the relative GI I use a lot of bulgur, all grades # 1 through #4.
Mamma Mia !
PreviousNext