Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of fridges

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Fri Aug 28, 2026 12:57 pm

Bought a new one yesterday. My current Kitchen Aid has these problems:

1) the thingamajiggie that causes the refrigerator door to close after opening has failed and can't be replaced because KA no longer has this part in their supply chain--deliberate obsolescence. Can't even find it on used sites. I have to overtly push the door shut every time, and oh--the same thingamajiggie turns the light on when you open the door, so I haven't had light in about a year.

2) the cup-shaped chute in the ice maker that directs ice into your glass has become unattached and attempts to dispense itself every time I get ice. I get ice a lot. Many times a day. My cat even knows it's bed time when she hears me refill my ever-present ice water glass late at night. Because of this, ice cubes occasionally and spontaneously jump to their deaths, and some get trapped above and behind--half way in, half way out. I have to manually reach up there and feel around for stowaways. Sometimes I don't find them all, like Wednesday morning, and I wake up to a lake in front of the refrigerator which is ruining my wood floor.

3) it sporadically makes a clicking noise. This will go on for a few minutes when it happens.

4) on Wednesday when I found the lake, because it was so much more than usual I opened the freezer to see if I could see anything else amiss and discovered that the partition between the freezer and the fridge was hot to the touch.

So yesterday morning I rolled out of bed and went to my local appliance store. I described the above issues. None are good, but that clicking sound? That's the sound of a compressor trying to die. It took me three minutes to peruse the 48 inchers on the floor and choose LG's luxury brand, not called LG but I can't remember the name, over Sub-Zero and Thermidor. French doors above, drawers below, including an ice drawer that makes two types of ice, of which one is large, perfectly clear cubes. It can only make about four a day but wow won't that be fun. So there goes 18 G's, but hey, can't live without refrigeration.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 28, 2026 2:34 pm

Yoicks.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 28, 2026 2:37 pm

Whew! My sympathies, Jenise. We are about 6 weeks out from a tear-down renovation of our kitchen (long overdue). We're keeping most of our appliances, though, apart from a dishwasher that is in urgent need of replacement.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Posts

9798

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Location

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 28, 2026 2:39 pm

I don't think the new refrigerator's brand name is Yoiks. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 28, 2026 2:44 pm

Might as well be. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Fri Aug 28, 2026 2:57 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Might as well be. :lol:


LOL.

Mark, wish I had a fridge I could keep. This one's been nothing but a pain since I got it (and meanwhile, the cheapo Kenmore in the garage just hums along). I could live with it if it would behave, but obviously it's not going to. Will never buy another Whirlpool product (which brand now includes KA as well as Viking, the brand of my evil stove). Best to replace it before it becomes an emergency.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 28, 2026 5:11 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Might as well be. :lol:


LOL.

Mark, wish I had a fridge I could keep. This one's been nothing but a pain since I got it (and meanwhile, the cheapo Kenmore in the garage just hums along). I could live with it if it would behave, but obviously it's not going to. Will never buy another Whirlpool product (which brand now includes KA as well as Viking, the brand of my evil stove). Best to replace it before it becomes an emergency.


Until 2017, Whirpool made the Kenmore appliances, too, FWIW.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 29, 2026 12:16 am

At my old address, the Maytag appliances just kept on chugging.

At my current address, the fancy appliances need somebody to keep an eye on them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Sat Aug 29, 2026 8:17 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Until 2017, Whirpool made the Kenmore appliances, too, FWIW.


Really! Well I guess someone had to. Mine is probably 25 years old (I'm not the original owner).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Sat Aug 29, 2026 8:18 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:At my current address, the fancy appliances need somebody to keep an eye on them.


How are things working out with that weird stove of yours?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 29, 2026 8:34 pm

Good enough. The burners seem very hot but the oven runs about right. Just no low-and-slow for me!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8757

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Aug 29, 2026 8:49 pm

Our previous refrigerator was a Liebherr, which ran like a champ and was still doing great when it came time for the remodel, fifteen years after we bought it. We gave to someone (can't remember who) and I'm sure it's still humming along in their garage. We bought a True fridge for the remodeled kitchen. The LCD (or whatever it is) display went out about two months after we bought it. It was replaced under warranty, but that certainly didn't give me a good feeling. The guy who fixed it told me that he rarely get calls to repair True refrigerators (either the commercial or home variety), so that made me feel a little better. I guess we'll see.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 30, 2026 2:31 am

Oh, Mike, maybe I can ask you: I have a LiebHerr in this rental. Is the inside back of it supposed to be wet all the time? (I think so because it has channels and a drain but I've never seen a fridge like this! If I push something back to the wall, then condensate runs along the package and starts pooling on the shelf....
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8757

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 30, 2026 10:54 am

Yes, that's how they deal with condensation. There's a little shelf built into the back wall of the fridge that slopes to the left and has a drain hole in it. It drains into a tube in the back that leads down to a tray at the bottom. It's warm enough down there to evaporate that water. If that drain hole or the tube behind it get clogged, the vegetable drawer will fill up with water. This happened over and over with our fridge. I would take a piece of stiff wire and ream the little hole out from inside the fridge, which would fix it but only for a couple of weeks. I finally pulled the fridge away from the wall and unclogged the tube from the bottom. That fixed it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Sun Aug 30, 2026 11:49 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote: The guy who fixed it told me that he rarely get calls to repair True refrigerators (either the commercial or home variety), so that made me feel a little better. I guess we'll see.


I think we should all get our appliance buying advice from the service people!

Up here in the Fourth Corner, we have fewer options: certain brands are neither sold nor represented here, and some known brands like Viking have been given up on because of poor performance and even poorer part availability. Even some brands that would be okay in Seattle aren't wise choices 100 miles north. Thermidor is currently the best for reliability and part availability if problems occur.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 30, 2026 11:53 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yes, that's how they deal with condensation. There's a little shelf built into the back wall of the fridge that slopes to the left and has a drain hole in it. It drains into a tube in the back that leads down to a tray at the bottom. It's warm enough down there to evaporate that water. If that drain hole or the tube behind it get clogged, the vegetable drawer will fill up with water. This happened over and over with our fridge. I would take a piece of stiff wire and ream the little hole out from inside the fridge, which would fix it but only for a couple of weeks. I finally pulled the fridge away from the wall and unclogged the tube from the bottom. That fixed it.

Good to know about the tube in the back!

Yes, I have already reamed the drain hole once. That seems to have helped. The water pooled under the vegetable drawer then started drizzling down the front; it would freeze on the gasket of the freezer door and I am like, "Where is this coming from???"
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Posts

8757

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Location

Sacramento, CA

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 30, 2026 1:43 pm

Yeah, Jeff, it took me a while to figure this all out as well!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Mon Sep 21, 2026 2:36 pm

So when I got home from Bellingham this morning (I always motel-it after wine tastings), there was another lake in front of my much-hated Kitchen Aid fridge. I had put a towel down just in case before I left yesterday just in case it spit out an errant ice cube, as it frequently does, but somehow the ice chute got stuck open and it literally rained all night.

ONLY TWO MORE DAYS UNTIL THIS NIGHTMARE IS OVER!

Oh, and remember me complaining some months ago about not being able to find a replacement microwave turntable for my GE Profile MW? The problem was/is that where MWs were once shallow and wide based on the standard 13 x 9" baking dish, they are now deep and square based on the typical supermarket pizza or super tiny for heating up burritos in cheap motels. Well this weekend I cleaned it and big flakes of the inner lining fell off on my sponge revealing rusted metal in back. So this weekend I went back to my local appliance store with the measurements and my salesman took me into the warehouse where, sitting on the floor minding its own business and near nothing else was a box with pretty much the identical GE Profile sitting on top of it. "This is the only one that will fit into your space," he said, "and it's the last one we'll ever get." They'd ordered it for a customer who had changed their mind. I told him "Great, put it on the truck and bring it with the fridge on Wednesday".

Talk about great timing. Free delivery and they'll have to haul off the old one!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Mon Sep 21, 2026 3:26 pm

OH F WORD!!!!

I just discovered that my refrigerator is dead. Muerto.

Wednesday can't get here fast enough.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

8607

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

Location

NYC

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 21, 2026 7:04 pm

You're out in the boonies, right? Is there still an ice man? Can you make him cometh and turn the insulated-non-refrigerator into an old-fashioned icebox?

I hear it comes with a great lemon pie recipe.

really, I can stop anytime...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Mon Sep 21, 2026 7:18 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:You're out in the boonies, right? Is there still an ice man? Can you make him cometh and turn the insulated-non-refrigerator into an old-fashioned icebox?

I hear it comes with a great lemon pie recipe.

really, I can stop anytime...


I've already moved the fridge stuff into coolers. The fridge was 64F when I got home. Freezer's still to go. I'm not sure at what point I should move stuff out, but what's in there is probably safer than anywhere else--at least for today. This is a 48" beast, so we're talking lots of stuff.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 21, 2026 7:21 pm

Ouch, sorry Jenise.
Fridges dying are a huge hassle, but at least you have one coming.
I've had it happen , luckily I have a big commercial fridge at office and 2 freezers, with lots of ice packs (and coolers if needed).,
I think Jeff has right idea. I know you do big communal meals for your neighborhood. I bet most of those people keep a few freezer packs in their freezers for trips, picnics, boating etc. If you could borrow some and keep fridge closed, and open quickly tomorrow to replenish, you should be able to get to Wed without much loss (unless fridge is already really warm)
oops, see you have already replied
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:14 am

Oh, good grief! So sorry, Jenise. What a headache.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46554

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Speaking of fridges

by Jenise » Tue Sep 22, 2026 12:33 pm

Jeff and Dale--between the two of you, you made the perfect suggestion. There IS an iceman!!! Lynden Ice Company, about 14 miles away. Totally forgot about them. They make and sell dry ice, a service I used years ago when we did a huge pig roast in my back yard--one of those "communal" events Dale mentioned (that I no longer do). I just called--they're open, I'm on my way!!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, ClaudeBot, PetalBot and 0 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign