Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:24 pm

Had lobster tail, shrimp, red quinoa, and asparagus washed down with sauvignon blanc. Sorry, Jenise, too many purines or I would have invited you. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:39 pm

Yes, that keeps coming up. Next thought: where to get cherries? There's juice around but would suspect the intensity isn't sufficient. Maybe eat frozen cherries. Meanwhile, I've been eating bananas and drinking lemon water.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Yes, that keeps coming up. Next thought: where to get cherries? There's juice around but would suspect the intensity isn't sufficient. Maybe eat frozen cherries. Meanwhile, I've been eating bananas and drinking lemon water.

Interesting question. It could be that cherry juice would be more potent because of the number of cherries used. A little research is in order.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 am

Larry, I have a $20 jar of cherries soaked in bourbon in the fridge, but I think that would go the wrong direction....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 am

Jenise wrote:Larry, I have a $20 jar of cherries soaked in bourbon in the fridge, but I think that would go the wrong direction....

They may or may not help you, but eat enough and you won't feel the pain.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:58 am

Btw, my doctor and I have worked out that the gout attack was an immune system response to the Covid vax. Showed up next morning in the left foot (during a week where the vax was my only deviation from normal drinking and dining) and moved to the right a week later.

But hey, last night I made grilled marinated b/s chicken thighs on wok-fried bok choy. First thing I've eaten in five days that wasn't just a vegetable. So good!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Had lobster tail, shrimp, red quinoa, and asparagus washed down with sauvignon blanc. Sorry, Jenise, too many purines or I would have invited you. :mrgreen:

TORTURE.

We had Chilean sea bass last night and chicken the night before. Asparagus sits in the fridge, rotting. Cauliflower steaks lovingly prepped for a day or three ahead have already thrown out. And my foot still aches. This is going SO SLOW.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Last night I made Chinese stir-fried minced pork with minced hot chiles. I usually make this with those very long, sort of wrinkly green hot chiles commonly found at US supermarkets. Or with jalapenos if I can't find the long green chiles. I had some of the "long red chiles" from the Vietnamese grocery (see previous posting in this thread) left over, so I made the dish half-and-half with minced long reds and very long greens. It was visually more appealing, a tad more incendiary, and more flavorful. Now that I have a steady source for the long red chiles, I think I'll be doing the mixture regularly from now on.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 pm

Paul, a mixture like that to serve in whole lettuce leaves--might be what I make for dinner. Sounds delicious, and I need a break from bland.

Last night I took two leftover boneless pork chops and two b/s chicken thighs and browned them in a pot with half a big onion, garlic, strips of red bell pepper and three tomatoes that were getting kind of long in the tooth, seasoned with chile flakes and thyme, and created a Portugese-ish soup finished with small white creamer potatoes and cilantro.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:56 pm

Had two leftover egg whites from when I made some lemon curd this week, so I made meringue cookies out of them. Used my copper bowl so no need for cream of tartar. Didn't have superfine sugar so they were just a touch gritty here and there. Really good, though. I'll back off on the sugar next time. A little less sweet would be good, IMO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:58 am

Last night, for a salad we gnoshed on a bowl of celery sticks tossed with oil, vinegar and garlic salt. For a main course we had seared scallops on linguine tossed with spinach and walnuts, sauced with lemon juice and EVOO.

Tonight we're having turkey. I have a leg-thigh quarter leftover from the turkey I parted out around Christmas time that I've just put into a brine, and will roast that with celery and parsnips.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Made Edie a no-recipe pasta dish by using up miscellaneous items from the fridge. Starting with Italian spaghetti, I threw on sauteed diced portabellos, sun-dried tomatoes, pepperoni, fake lobster, garlic, pesto, Parmesan Reggiano, and drizzled EVOO. Accompanied by toasted homemade multi-grain bread toasted with garlic butter. It made a hit with her and made a dent in our refrigerator.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:28 pm

Laughed at the "fake lobster", Larry.

Last night I temped fate with a gout-unsafe big 1 lb ahi tuna steak. Separated the inner block with no sinew to cover with seeds and sear off later, and divided the sinewy part into parts edible and inedible by humans. Fed the latter to the ever-present seagulls and turned the other into a tartare with green onions, soy sauce, sesame oil and lime juice to scoop into lettuce leaves for a cold starter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:54 pm

Made a wine run to south of Seattle yesterday which resulted in a side trip to restock my pantry with Asian ingredients. Brought home Kanpaachi, Hamachi, Blue Fin Toro and regular Tuna for a sashimi dinner. One of the things I bought, on a lark, was some tofu that was already fried. (Never bought it before). Cut that into large cubes and tossed it with shredded bamboo in chili oil--wow, was that good.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Tonight is going to be pork schnitzel, asparagus, and something else.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:52 pm

Yesterday, clam chowder. Today, boeuf bourguignon. (Cold snap coming so getting ready.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:56 am

Last night we had cabbage rolls made with a lamb and rice stuffing made by a local deli; unexpected combo, and delicious. I served them on a plate of fried cabbage and bok choy. No wine.

The night before, we shared a thick steak and a bottle of 2000 Brane Cantenac. Funny how I don't enjoy steak like I used to (I only ate two slices) but I still crave it occasionally.

And the night before that, we did an amaro tasting with our little booze group. Six amari, then a Black Manhattan cocktail made with one of the dark ones. The hosts served spaghetti.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Last night we had cabbage rolls made with a lamb and rice stuffing made by a local deli; unexpected combo, and delicious. I served them on a plate of fried cabbage and bok choy. No wine.

Sure. The only correct beverage for stuffed cabbage is hemlock.

The night before, we shared a thick steak and a bottle of 2000 Brane Cantenac. Funny how I don't enjoy steak like I used to (I only ate two slices) but I still crave it occasionally.

Sounds good, though.

And the night before that, we did an amaro tasting with our little booze group. Six amari, then a Black Manhattan cocktail made with one of the dark ones. The hosts served spaghetti.

What is a Black Manhattan?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:40 am

I made gai tod Hatyai (Hatyai-style fried chicken wings) again last night. This time I did a conventional breading by pressing the marinated wings into a bowl of rice flour, as opposed to adding 1/2 cup rice flour to the chicken-plus-marinade to form a batter. The wings came out more evenly coated. I also did the initial frying at a slightly lower temperature (250-275 degrees F). The wings were not dry as happened last time.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Lol, Jeff, on the 'hemlock' comment.

A black manhattan mixes a very dark amaro in place of the vermouth element, add rye or bourbon.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:05 pm

FWIW, I have a bottle of Vicieux black vodka. Yes, it's totally black.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:09 pm

What makes it black?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Jenise wrote:What makes it black?

Caramel coloring. (Similar to a dark roux.) Cool bottle, too.

https://www.coppermuse.com/vicieux-black-vodka#
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Makes sense. I'm sure it's what colors the Amaros as well.
PreviousNext