The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Stunning Ch.Feuillet/Val d'Aosta '18 (short/bori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three Stunning Ch.Feuillet/Val d'Aosta '18 (short/bori

by TomHill » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:32 pm

New in at KoKo this week, so tried:
1. Ch.Feuillet PetiteArvine Dd'OP: Valle d'Aosta (13.5%; KermitLynchImprts; http://www.ChateauFeuillet.it/) Maurizio Fiorano/St.Pierre 2018: Med.gold color w/ lots of tiny/tiny bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass; very fragrant Alpine white flowers/floral very perfumed bit chalky/perfumed talc lovely very aromatic nose; quite tart/tangy/lithe/slight metallic bit chalky/perfumed talc bright/Alpine white flowers/edelweiss/bit gardenias some stony/perfumed talc very bright/racey lovely flavor; very long/lingering bright/brisk/racey/tart/tangy fairly rich quite floral/Alpine white flowers/gardenias some chalky/perfumed talc/mineral complex beautiful finish; a beautiful example of an Alpine white; no signs of dissolved CO2 on the palate; if you put your ear down near the glass you can hear the lilting voice of JulieAndrews off in the distance singing "The Hills Are Alive"; best PetiteArvine I've had, so fragrant it's almost muscatty in character; very fairly priced at $29.00 (KK)
2. Ch.Feuillet TraminerAromatico Dd'OP: Valle d'Aosta (14%) 2018: Med.gold bit cloudy color w/ some tiny bubbles; powerful GWT/lychee/cheap hair oil/Vitalis/spicy/quite perfumed/almost muscatty light chalky/mineral beautiful nose; bit soft/lush rather rich fairly dry but not quite; rather rich/lush/mouthfilling intense GWT/lychee/spicy/Vitalis light stony/perfumed talc almost muscatty some complex beautiful flavor; very long/lingering light stony/mineral/perfumed talc fairly dry rich/lush/balanced/but not over-the-top intense GWT/lychee/spicy/cheap hair oil somewhat tart finish that goes on & on; this is what oild-time Alsatian GWT used to be like pre-ZH; reminds a lot of the BottFreres ReservePersonelle GWT '76; a world-class example of GWT that OliverHumbrecht would love to make if he could. $29.00 (KK)
3. Ch.Feuillet Torrette Dd'OP: Valle d'Aosta (13.5%; 90% PetiteRouge/10% Mayolet) 2018: Dark color; intense grapey/blackberry/boysenberry/ripe strong floral/violets/lilacs/bit Alpine floral almost Mondeuse-like bit chocolaty slight earthy/dusty complex/perfumed/aromatic nose; some tart/tangy intense grapey/Alpine floral/lilacs/violets ripe/blackberry/Syrah-like/licorice bit earthy/dusty/mushroomy complex flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/boysenberry/licorice/chocolaty quite rich/lush/mouthfilling/balanced slight earthy/mushroomy bit Alpine/floral; a beautiful Alpine red that's richer than one would expect from the Vd'A; reminds a lot of Savoie Mondeuse w/o the earthy rusticity, a lot of Calif Syrah but a bit more complex & tangy; can use another 3-6 yrs; maybe the best Torrette I've yet had; very fairly priced at $28.00 (KK)
1. These three new wines showed up at KoKoman this week, so I (of course) had to try them. I've had several Ch.Feuillet wines in the past & pretty much liked them. This new release absolutely blew me away. They are some of the best Vd'Aosta wines I recall having. I've always liked the Feudo Di Sam Maurizio/VdA wines but these were a real notch above those. The KermitLynch wines tend to be on the pricey side, but these struck me as very fairly priced for their quality. Feuillet makes a number of other wines I'd dearly love to try, but Kermit doesn't appear to bring them in.
Anyway, these are wines worth searching out. I'm going back for more.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Three Stunning Ch.Feuillet/Val d'Aosta '18 (short/b

by Tim York » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:30 am

TomHill wrote:1. Ch.Feuillet PetiteArvine Dd'OP: Valle d'Aosta (13.5%; KermitLynchImprts; http://www.ChateauFeuillet.it/) Maurizio Fiorano/St.Pierre 2018:
best PetiteArvine I've had, so fragrant it's almost muscatty in character; very fairly priced at $29.00 (KK)

Tom

I'm a fan of Petite Arvine and Feuillet's is one of the best. Have you tried Arvine from Valais in Switzerland (very close as the crow flies and similar terroirs, I guess)? Some of the Valaisan are excellent too.
Tim York
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope...

by TomHill » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:09 am

Nope, Tim... not ever seen any Swiss versions in our market or to order.
Tom