The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Piedmont and Pommard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Piedmont and Pommard

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:25 pm

I made a (great if I say so myself) brasato al Barolo Sunday (for Mon consumption) . I used partial bottles of leftover Chianti and Crozes-Hermitage, and most of a new bottle of 2013 Massimo Rivetti Barbaresco. As a drinking wine it was young and tannic, moderate acids, some floral notes over cherry fruit. B-

So Monday Zoom call (theme was BYO Nebbiolo) with the brasato, polenta, broccoli rabe, and the 1990 Cavallotto “Bricco Boschis San Giuseppe” Barolo Riserva. Decanted about 5, seemed a little pruney, by dinner at 7 it had freshened but still had a roasted note to it. I was a little disappointed (unfairly comparing to the 1989), but Betsy liked it, and by the end of the call it was showing much better. Apparently 4-5 hours in decanter is sweet spot for this, by then it was less roasted, more floral, with tar and mushroom notes over black cherry fruit. C+ at 5, B/B- at 7, B+/A- at 9.

No wine Tuesday (work) with shallot pasta, but Wednesday Betsy made duck legs in panko and mustard, braised cabbage, served with leftover polenta and the 2000 de Courcel “Rugiens” Pommard 1er. A forgotten bottle. I thought I had pretty much drunk up my 2000 Burgundies (with pleasure). My memory of this bottle younger was that it was a bit more about Courcel than Pommard. But this bottle is pretty delicious and almost classic- red fruited, a little sandalwood, some forest floor and a touch of coffee. Tannins are resolved, balanced tannins, a plush texture is the part that seems not so Pommard to me. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: PIedmont and Pommard

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 pm

I love a good Pommard.
Decisions are made by those who show up