The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jura, CA Sem/SB blend, Savigny, Chianti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Jura, CA Sem/SB blend, Savigny, Chianti

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:11 pm

A few nights vegetarian at Betsy’s request
NV Henry Maire “Jurassique” Cremant de Jura
Apple and honey, nutty (almond) notes, hint of sweetness, crisp finish.Good value ($17). B

Tomato/cauliflower soup, onion galette, salad
2015 Lanciola " Le Masse di Greve" Chianti Classico Riserva
Good acids, some slightly raspy tannin, red and black cherry, a little leather. B/B-

Mushroom ragu, broccoli, salad
2002 Pavelot “aux Guettes” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Really coming into its own, resolved tannin, balanced acids, black cherry accented with smoke and espresso. Nice textural mouthfeel, long finish with a nice ferric tang. B++

Oysters, grey sole, Swiss chard, leftover mushroom pasta
2009 Bedrock Caritas
This is holding together, no oxidation, but it’s not integrated. 11 years in and oak just continues to stick out, actually seems to be more prominent. Pear and vanilla, woody. C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: Jura, CA Sem/SB blend, Savigny, Chianti

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Pavelot has always been one of my favorite producers from Savigny. Unfortunately NH doesn't carry them. And right now I wouldn't go wine shopping in Massachusetts even if it were permissible.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Jura, CA Sem/SB blend, Savigny, Chianti

by Jenise » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:21 pm

You know that 'rush' feeling you get when treasure hunting for wine? Say you see something on a shelf mismarked at one third the price you would have expected, that kind of thing.l Well once upon a time I found some Pavelot reds at a junky chain store for close-out stuff called Big Lots. IIRC it was my first time discovering that these stores had wine at all, and while I had never had any Pavelot wines I'd been reading wine boards long enough to know that it was a notable producer. I bought every bottle they had for like $3 ea and we drank them over several years--every bottle, wonderful. Still get that rush when I see the name!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov