The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

sweet Chablis?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

sweet Chablis?

by Jim Grow » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:39 am

In a song by John Prine he mentions a bee flying around a glass of sweet Chablis. I have little experience with Chablis but always thought of the wines as very dry and his use of the word was to help the rhyme. Does sweet Chablis exist?
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

Re: sweet Chablis?

by kasey.dubler » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:17 am

Chablis is always dry, and I do not know of any sweet wine made in the region, and I've toured through it before.

I do not from working in the industry that the term "Sweet" does not mean the same thing for everybody. I'm assuming he is using it more as a descriptor of the sweet life, rather than a level of residual sugar...

Just my thought...
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Back in the bad old days, before the varietal wine revolution, many US producers marketed their wines under European appellation names. So you had US domestic "burgundy", "chablis", "Rhine wine", "claret", "hock", etc. "Burgundy" was sort of a generic name for red wine and "chablis" similarly a generic white wine name. "Sweet chablis" was a sweet white wine. The point behind the "chablis" part was that wine non-geeks associated that name with white wine in general. I think that's what Prine was referring to. I've read that Gallo at one point had a big tank of generic white wine that fed two bottling lines. One got labeled "chablis" and the other "Rhine wine".

Then two things happened. Varietal labeling became trendy and the old generic terms such as "burgundy" and "chablis" became increasingly associated with cheap plonk. And then the EU started cracking down on the misappropriation of appellation names. They eventually got the US to agree to abandon the practice. Use of European regional and appellation names was banned, but there was a grandfather clause for existing products. Gallo Hearty Burgundy is one of those holdovers.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Fake Chablis!! Fake Chablis!! :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Sweet Chablis?...Yup..Sorta

by TomHill » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:23 pm

I've not found any blatantly/overtly sweet French Chablis. But I've had a few cheaper Chablis that have been a bit too Kendall-Jacksonized for my tastes & lacking the minerality/steely character you like in Chablis.
Tom
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:37 am

Paul Winalski wrote: "Burgundy" was sort of a generic name for red wine and "chablis" similarly a generic white wine name.

And rose wines were Pink Chablis.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:00 am

It’s just a lyric
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 am

Peter May wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote: "Burgundy" was sort of a generic name for red wine and "chablis" similarly a generic white wine name.

And rose wines were Pink Chablis.

As I recall, domestic Chablis was lightly sweet, whereas Sauterne (no "s" on the end) was sugary sweet. It was surprising how quickly "a glass of Chardonnay" knocked out those terms for all but the lowest shelf, but it wasn't necessarily quality Chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:06 am

Also, if anyone was wondering, it remains possible (although not desirable) to buy domestic "chablis" and "burgundy." At Walmart.

Gallo Family Vineyards Chablis Blanc Wine, 1.5 L

Carlo Rossi Burgundy Red Table Wine, 4 L (FOUR LITERS!)
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:11 am

I thought in the US you even used to be able to buy "red chablis", a term used for a light red wine.

Actually I see that in the UK it is still possible to buy a kosher red chablis". Kosher in the specific Jewish sense obviously! I have no idea how they get away with it - they wouldn't if they misused the word "champagne"
Last edited by Steve Slatcher on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:33 am

David M. Bueker wrote:It’s just a lyric

I agree.

And more specifically I agree also with @kasey.dubler when he says " I'm assuming he is using it more as a descriptor of the sweet life, rather than a level of residual sugar..."

But it's still interesting to see the discussion