The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thanksgiving Rumblings on Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Thanksgiving Rumblings on Wine

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 am

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the USA. Happy Thursday to everyone else.

Normally I am deciding on which California Pinot Noir to open. With COVID it's no turkey (too much food for two people) and so no Pinot. Lobster Crumble is the main dish, so it's a magnum of Pierre Peters Champagne. We won't finish the mag today, but I'll put a stopper in it, and serve the rest with our baked ham (from the local farm) dinner on Friday. Peters mags are special because at least at the time I bought them (I presume still to this day, but do not know) they were straight vintage, bottled as NV. The mag chilling for dinner is straight 2008, so it should be a perfect treat with the buttery lobster dish.

Zoom cocktail hours have become a thing. It's still not the level of social interaction I would prefer, but it's good to see friends - near and far. From a winery standpoint, Hardy Wallace (Dirty & Rowdy) has done the best job, hosting 10+ Zoom events with a band! He's in California, the band is in Denver, and we are from all over the place. John Lockwood of Enfield Wine Company just started Zooming, and it was interesting to see a couple of familiar faces from the D&R Zooms. It is a community.

Between tariffs, COVID and wacky harvest schedules due to climate change, so EU wines have not yet made it to US shores for the holidays. Significant amounts of German wine are way behind schedule, as are some French wines. The September window to load the refrigerated containers ended up conflicting with harvest for many German vintners, so the wines are still waiting. Even semi-normal is starting to sound good. Sigh.

Facebook keeps suggesting that I "friend" the notorious wine forger, Rudy Kurniawan. What?!?! Isn't dealing with Trump enough bull**** fakery for one lifetime?

End of the year, so it's time for all the best of lists. Still competition for my WOTY, but it goes to the 2000 Mouton. Lots of great bottles opened this year, aided by the "what the heck" pandemic attitude. 2000 Taylor Fladgate Porto was right up there, as was a 2010 Mousse Fils Champagne. Last night's 2001 Jadot Bonnes Mares was also knocking at the door. Oh, and the 2010 Vilmart Grand Cellier Champagne...and...and...Prum...Selbach...Donnhoff...Goodfellow...and so on. Maybe I need a recount!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Thanksgiving Rumblings on Wine

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:06 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, David, and to all our forum pals. Thanks for the thoughtful reflection.

I wonder ... how much actual time, if any, did Rudy serve?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:10 am

He served 7 years of a 10 year sentence, and is set to be deported in the very near future.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:43 pm

At our house we are starting with a bottle of Billecart Salmon Rose followed by as much Sea Smoke Ten as necessary. We are not turkey people...steak is more our speed. So I have a pickup order at Ruth's Chris. The sad part is only 3 of us this year to try to stay safe.

Everybody stay safe!
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all here.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm cooking for just myself this year, but turkey it is anyway. It's a good thing I really like LO turkey and turkey sandwiches (for breakfast!) and turkey pie and and and....
Wine is going to be Joseph Swan Estate Pinot Noir. Not sure what vintage; I have '12 through '15. But '14 was really good when I tasted it. (No matter, it's all really good! After all, it's red wine!)
Enjoy your Thanksgiving, and remember to be thankful for all that we have.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate. To all others, enjoy your day & evening!

Just the two of us, which would have been the case Covid or no Covid. Tonight's wine is Rio Seco Zinfandel, 2009, Paso Robles Wine-Bush Vineyards. A tasting room purchase from years-ago trip. Open, a bit poured, smells promising. We prefer an American wine on Thanksgiving.

Menu is simple as I'm letting the slow cooker do the work on a pork sirloin roast and veggies. I baked blue corn cornbread and gingerbread yesterday. Glad that I did, as it was more time-consuming than today's cooking. Soon it will be time to select music (likely jazz), and just have a peaceful evening. Counting our blessings....
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Cornbread...yum.