The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgs, Loires, Champagne, Kamptal, Marche

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burgs, Loires, Champagne, Kamptal, Marche

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Saddest bottle of the week was a horribly corked 2005 Boulay Comtesse

Pork chops, barley/wild rice, bok choy
2001 Hiedler Maximum Riesling (Kamptal)
I have found recent vintages of this a bit hotter and rounder than my preference, but this (13% abv) was pretty well cut, peach and ginger with a little petrol overtone. Ready and long. B+

Pasta with clams, peas, and bacon
2018 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
Clean, saline, citrus, very versatile food wine. B/B+

With some oysters on half shell
NV Marie Courtin “Efflorescence”
Green apple, pastry dough, crisp yet rich. B+

Veal chops with sage, mushroom (oyster, maitake, yellowfoot, velvet piopinni) risotto, Brussels sprouts
1999 D’Angerville Volnay 1er
Pretty and ready. Red berries, soil, a touch of Barolo-like tar. Perfumed and tasty, not weighty but with grip. Great showing for a blended 1er. B+/A-

Quail braised in Vouvray, leftover risotto and Brussels sprouts
This was our Zoom call. I think everyone liked both, I think most preferred the CdB. But happy to have both and think they’ll easily age decades.

2019 Huet “Le Haut Lieu” Vouvray Sec

Snappy, bright, lively with melon and honey. B+
2019 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray Sec
Deeper, rocks and flowers, long A-

Last night I did a variation on risotto al salto (mushroom risotto won’t really make a cake) with lamb kidneys with sage and sauteed spinach
1999 Robert Arnoux “Les Proces” Nuits St.-Georges 1er
Servicable but I kept thinking about the Volnay. Red and black cherry, some dirt, ok but a little plodding. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Burgs, Loires, Champagne, Kamptal, Marche

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Interesting that you mentioned Hiedler. I just unearthed a bottle of 2008 Hiedler Weissburgunder Maximum. It’s now in the queue.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:34 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Quail braised in Vouvray, leftover risotto and Brussels sprouts
This was our Zoom call. I think everyone liked both, I think most preferred the CdB. But happy to have both and think they’ll easily age decades.

2019 Huet “Le Haut Lieu” Vouvray Sec

Snappy, bright, lively with melon and honey. B+
2019 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray Sec
Deeper, rocks and flowers, long A-

Did you braise it in Huet, or an alternate cheaper 'cooking' Vouvray?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:09 pm

Will be interested to hear about the Weissburgunder. I had some Hiedler Maximums (GV and Riesling) from 2009 era and kind of wished they were Minimums. But never had a Weissburgunder from them.

Rahsaan, normally I would have gone for an inexpensive Chenin, but I was opening 2 bottles of Huet (by myself, on a Monday) for the Zoom so used a little of each . It was certainly less than a cup total- I stuffed 3 quail with a panko/shallot/piopinni mix, browned, added wine, covered, and put in oven.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Rahsaan, normally I would have gone for an inexpensive Chenin, but I was opening 2 bottles of Huet (by myself, on a Monday) for the Zoom so used a little of each . It was certainly less than a cup total- I stuffed 3 quail with a panko/shallot/piopinni mix, browned, added wine, covered, and put in oven.

Hey, I don't think it's sacrilege. I was just curious how you approached these things. But 1 cup out of those two young bottles sounds good! I probably cooked with some of my 2019 Huet secs a few weeks ago, can't remember.

Tomorrow I will probably be deglazing with 2017 Alzinger GV Smaragd, unless the remainders are so compelling that I absolutely have to finish every sip (which is doubtful).