Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Truth in advertising

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Truth in advertising

by Jenise » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Suddenly Wayfair is selling cooking stuff and I'm getting lots of ads from them on my Facebook feed. Most are what serious cooks would consider gimmicks. This one made me laugh out loud:

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tableto ... .html?st=1

Note that the cooking surface the steak sits on is closed, but the steak shown has grill marks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Truth in advertising

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm

I own one of those smokeless grills, which I use every once in a while (works well for me), but I guarantee it doesn't give grill marks.

Looking closer at the image, I'd never buy a gas stove that has burner grids that cross in the center.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:17 am

That's funny, Jenise! Did you also notice that the second steak (in the fourth picture) has different grill marks than the first, which also cannot have been made on the item for sale? :lol:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't like Wayfair. They spam Yahoo groups.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:That's funny, Jenise! Did you also notice that the second steak (in the fourth picture) has different grill marks than the first, which also cannot have been made on the item for sale? :lol:

I did. Did anyone read the comments? One of the first ones says hers caught fire the first time she used it. Watch out, Larry!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I don't like Wayfair. They spam Yahoo groups.

-Paul W.

Understood. But I wish I'd bought the stock last March.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Jenise wrote: Did anyone read the comments? One of the first ones says hers caught fire the first time she used it. Watch out, Larry!

:
I've had mine for decades. The top grill is cast aluminum, the bottom is porcelainized steel, shaped to hold a ring of water. How it could catch fire is beyond me. :roll: I've cooked a number of things on it, and the water ring catches drips and minimizes smoke. Works okay for me. But no grill marks. :?
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:03 pm

In a more light-hearted vein, my favourite inadvertent "truth in advertising" was a local donut shop which had a burnt-out letter in their sign, so that it read "DON TS". And this was right next door to an office proudly proclaiming "Criminal Lawyers". At least they warned you!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Cute, Ted. I hope they never fixed the 'U'.