Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking for election night?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cooking for election night?

by Jenise » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm

I am struggling to think of what to prepare. I veer from considering a southern menu (for authentic roots-American) to roast beef and apple pie.

Maybe I should worry more about what we'll be drinking.

What are you planning?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Cooking for election night?

by Larry Greenly » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:33 pm

Booze and whatever Don, Jr. is taking. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:58 pm

Likely as not, warmed-up Chicken with 40 Cloves. :D
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:59 pm

The Francophile and I will be watching from afar. I guess we'll have lunch, cocktails and dinner to the tune of US Election analysis in the background.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 am

Take-out at McDonalds to say goodbye to the Donald would be appropriate.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:17 pm

Prison fare to welcome Chump to the next stage of his life?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Prison fare to welcome Chump to the next stage of his life?

I like it! Gruel! (With maybe something buried in it in case he wants to take the Jeffrey Epstein option.)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm

From the frying pan Wisconsin where had I still been there would be planning an anticipatory celebration meal using the end of season produce from my garden. An erbazzone appetizer using chard and lancinato kale. Hubbard squash, Brussels sprouts, Jerusalem artichokes in a gratin. Caramelized mixed apples and Shipova pears glazed with elderflower cordial garnished with black pepper molasses crunch. Back into the fire of western Pennsylvania where I am now with great anxiety and disrupted sleep thinking about a hopeful celebration of migration with Salvadoran pupusas filled with beans and cheese garnished with a curtido.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Christina, love the sound of everything you wrote about. I'm especially enchanted by the erbazzone, something I've only had once but forgot about until now. I am loaded with greens, and have an almost-vegetarian brother (I'll skip the pancetta) to cook for and a husband who needs to eat a lot of greens for other reasons, so this would be a delightful thing to prepare for election night. A progression of finger foods vs. a sit-down meal sounds like just the ticket (election pun!).

While searching just now for erbazzone recipes, I came across one for a version of beans and greens. The author's Italian and calls for "chicory" (the picture is a very bright but deep emerald green). Dawns on me that I have no idea what kind of chicory one would buy, the stem pieces one can just barely make out in the picture look like spinach. And of course if the photo came from a food stylist there could be a large disconnect between the author's intent and the photo. Where I live chicory could be anything from endive to escarole to radicchio, and in Italy it could be something else entirely. Any ideas?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:54 pm

A Brunswick stew featuring crow, with humble pie for afters.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:04 pm

I don't really get into themed dinners. So it will be a regular Tuesday, which probably means a nice hearty pasta before going out to play tennis. Hopefully they will call it for Biden before I get home, but I'm not expecting that.

But if the Trump loss is clear on Tuesday night, I may toast him with some mezcal, in honor of all the glory that comes across that border.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:28 pm

Jenise, for the erbazzone I've used whatever greens I had, usually a mixture. Endive and radicchio, dandelion and wild chicory are great. I've even used beet greens when they were fresh and pristine. I would think about the balance of bitter, sweet as well as textures. I always include the stems of chard and thicker ends of endive, escarole and radicchio. A bit of anchovy is a great compliment. Likewise a few dried currants as a balancer for sweetness if only bitter greens. +/- pine nuts.
I've made crusts with leaf lard, olive oil or bread dough. You probably don't want to use lard for health reasons but it was by far the most tasty and flaky. The oil crust is quite good but I used far less than recipe called for. The bread dough was just ordinary and uninteresting.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:23 am

Jenise wrote:Christina, love . The author's Italian and calls for "chicory" ...came from a food stylist there could be a large disconnect between the author's intent and the photo. Where I live chicory could be anything from endive to escarole to radicchio, and in Italy it could be something else entirely. Any ideas?

Chickory certainly can refer to many different green leafy things. My grandparents were chickory farmers, where the roots were dried in a kiln ad used as a coffee additive/substitute. Anyone remember the bottles of coffee and chickory essence with the man in the fez?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:39 am

Jenise wrote:The author's Italian and calls for "chicory" (the picture is a very bright but deep emerald green). Dawns on me that I have no idea what kind of chicory one would buy, the stem pieces one can just barely make out in the picture look like spinach. And of course if the photo came from a food stylist there could be a large disconnect between the author's intent and the photo. Where I live chicory could be anything from endive to escarole to radicchio, and in Italy it could be something else entirely. Any ideas?

Chicory is sold in three types:
- "chicoria intybus sativa" or common chicory, whose leaves are rather like dandelion greens and whose root is the useful coffee substitute/additive
- "chicoria foliosum", which is a near-relation of endive and escarole, esp. Belgian endive
- puntarelle, a favorite of Roman cooks, falls somewhere between celery and frisee with a few dark leaves tossed in (usually photographed in its raw state, so long straight stems with narrow leaves)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Puntarelle salad and anchovy dressing...a match made in heaven if you like bitter greens. It can be grown in Wisconsin but I forage for the common type in the wild recognized by the fine hairs on the back of the main vein. Young and tender in the early spring.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:30 pm

- "chicoria foliosum", which is a near-relation of endive and escarole, esp. Belgian endive

And includes radicchio.

While researching something else I discovered a recipe today for a vinaigrette dressing for radicchio which includes a hefty dose of Angostura bitters. Sounds fantastic, I'll post if I love it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Making pizza tonight.

Pizza #1: fire roasted tomato base, chicken Italian sausage, shaved fennel, shaved red onion, mozz, parm, black pepper

Pizza #2: pesto base, shitake mushrooms, grated zucchini, fontina cheese, rosemary, lemon zest, parm

Romaine and arugula in a garlicky vinaigrette for topping
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 am

Pork chops with lemon slices, onion slices, bbq sauce. Fair amount of booze and wine. Having slow motion stroke watching election results and wondering how PA (my home state and birthplace of democracy) is going to vote. :?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:42 am

Larry Greenly wrote:PA (my home state and birthplace of democracy)...

Athens might quibble with you on that one.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Hemlock or champagne? Still deciding.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:58 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:PA (my home state and birthplace of democracy)...

Athens might quibble with you on that one.

True, but I meant for this country (I'm pretty focused right now). Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Larry, sitting right now in Allegheny County, PA in a sea of red yard signs.....not hopeful. Born and raised here, solidly Democratic for long years only recently lost their way. Have moved the champagne in and out of the fridge several times.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Larry, sitting right now in Allegheny County, PA in a sea of red yard signs.....not hopeful. Born and raised here, solidly Democratic for long years only recently lost their way. Have moved the champagne in and out of the fridge several times.

I'm from Pennsylvania, and I can't believe how red it has grown. I grew up in Columbia County (where my English ancestors arrived in 1832) and lived in Bucks County (where I was a teacher) before I moved to New Mexico (almost 50 years ago) where Biden won..