Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New York Water Bagels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

New York Water Bagels

by Christina Georgina » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:15 pm

One thing I have been successful at these past 2 months is honing a recipe for what I remember from my youth. Dense, chewy bagels with a glossy crust and crunch. After comparing many recipes and tweaking I settled on this from Inside the Jewish Bakery http://nybakers.com/recipes/waterbagels.pdf with some modifications.
You must use high gluten flour - King Arthur Sir Lancelot is 14.2% protein or KA Bread flour. Since it is an old recipe, not specifying weights I fooled around with that and use 640g flour and 340-355 g water depending on the days humidity to fully hydrate.
I do use malt powder and 2t Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. I struggled a lot with salt type and quantity as well as the yeast. In fact such a low amount of yeast is needed for density. For shaping there are many YouTube videos. I prefer the finger thru the center then rotate, stretch and repeat when the gluten relaxes. The problem of them sticking to the parchment paper after the cold proof was solved by a very lightly oiled silpat. I did use malt syrup for the boil and achieved the small blisters and right color and crust after the high temp 450F baking. Sometimes they float and sometimes not. If not, I flip after 30-45 sec and go another 30 sec in the boil.
These have been so successful with my NYC expat friends that I am doing 1-2 dozen/week for drive by pickup. Everything Bagel topping is the most preferred
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: New York Water Bagels

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Sounds amazing! Real bagels are one of the things I miss about living in NYC, Christina. Nothing I've tried here - not even the frozen bagels shipped here from Bronx bakeries that are supposed to be the real thing - really tastes right or has the right texture.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Brava Christina!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Brava indeed. I did make bagels once. They weren't perfect, but they were really really good. One of the things that's kept me from making my own is that we have a local Bagelry whose bagels are really good, very New Yorkish. And I'm addicted to the pumpernickel....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov