Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Giant Lobsters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Giant Lobsters

by Jenise » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:46 am

So the company I ordered lobster from last month has let me know that they have some 8-10 pounders on hand, $200 ea.

Has anyone cooked/eaten one that large? Are the textures still good? I'm tempted just for the entertainment value but not interested in any differences in texture/flavor that might seem off to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Giant Lobsters

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Generally speaking, the big ones are tougher. I've eaten one at 5# and the meat was already sturdy. Something as big as 10#, well, maybe the claws are good but I'd find a wet prep for the tail: bisque, of course, but you might be able to cut it into reasonable chunks and steam it soft.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Wouldn't be worth it after all if the quality suffers. But your answer is kinda what I expected. I'll stick with normal sizes!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:50 am

Biggest I've ever cooked was 3#, but I once had a 10# at a restaurant (someone else paid, rolled out before hand on a red Radio Flyer wagon), and it was fine.
Better meat yield on bigger ones
Trick is cooking properly. In WSJ they cooked a 14#, thought flavors/texture were better

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB106150044236835600
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:52 pm

We generally do 3 lb lobsters, but we have had 8-10 lb several times. They are a bitch to get into (claw shells usually quite thick), but flavor and texture never been a problem.
Decisions are made by those who show up