Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: two simple stir-fry dishes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

RCP: two simple stir-fry dishes

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm

These are both from The Joyce Chen Cook Book. The first recipe is the first dish I ever cooked.

Stir-fried pork with bean sprouts

1/2 pound lean pork
2 TBS light soy sauce [see here about soy sauce]
1 tsp shaoxing wine [a]
1-1/2 TBS cornstarch (in all)
3 TBS water
1 tsp salt
1 stalk scallion
4 cups mung bean sprouts [bb]
3 TBS cooking oil [c]

[1] Cut the pork into thin slices and then into thin 2-3" long shreds. Cut the scallions into shreds to match the pork. Marinate pork about 15 minutes with the soy sauce, wine, and 1/2 TBS of the cornstarch. Mix the remaining 1 TBS cornstarch with 3 TBS water and set aside.

[2] Place the pan over high heat and then add the oil. When hot, add the salt and scallion and stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the pork mixture. Stir-fry until the pork is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and cook until half-transparent, about 1 minute. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir-fry until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately.

Stir-fried beef with bell peppers

1 pound beef steak [d]
3 TBS light soy sauce [see here about soy sauce]
1 TBS shaoxing wine [a]
1 TBS cornstarch
1 tsp sugar
2 bell peppers (all green or a mixture)
4 TBS cooking oil (in all) [c]
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/8-inch slice of ginger root (can be left unpeeled)

[1] Slice the beef across the grain into thin slices about 2" long and 1/4-1/2" wide. Mix the soy sauce, shaoxing wine, cornstarch, and sugar together, then marinate the beef slices in this mixture for about 15 minutes. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the core, seeds, and white ribs, then cut into chunks about 1" square.

[2] Put the pan over high heat. When hot, add 2 TBS of the cooking oil and the salt. Stir-fry the peppers until they turn a darker green (less than 1 minute). Remove from the pan and set aside.

[3] Wipe the pan clean, return to heat, and add the remaining 2 TBS of oil. Add the ginger, give it a stir, then add the beef mixture. Stir-fry until the beef is nearly cooked through--not more than 2 minutes. Return the peppers to the pan and stir-fry until they are heated through and a brown sauce forms (about another minute). Remove the ginger slice and serve.

Notes

Stir-frying is a quick process. A thorough mise en place is required. Have everything cut up and measured out before you start frying.

[a] Shaoxing wine is available in Asian markets and usually has salt added to avoid hassles with state liquor laws. Fino sherry, or cheap American domestic dry sherry, is a substitute.

[bb] Canned bean sprouts are not acceptable.

[cc] You want a fairly neutral oil, and one that can take high temperatures. Peanut, canola, and corn oil all work. I prefer peanut oil.

[d] Flank steak works well here because it's very easy to slice it across the grain and it's already of the proper width.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: RCP: two simple stir-fry dishes

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:[d] You want a fairly neutral oil, and one that can take high temperatures. Peanut, canola, and corn oil all work. I prefer peanut oil.

-Paul W.

I agree with Paul that everything is mis en place. There's no time to fiddle.

I wouldn't even bother with the shaoxing wine w/the salt. Dry sherry works great.

I generally use peanut oil, but sometimes corn oil or avocado oil (which has high smoke point). I avoid canola oil; some brands can taste fishy at high heat. I learned my lesson one time when I used canola oil to make fish-flavored popcorn. Mmm, mmmm. :mrgreen:

I predict pretty soon, you'll have a pantry of Asian ingredients.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 pm

A Chinese friend commented that whether or not to rinse black beans was an on-going war between her mother and the grandmother who lived with the family. Apparently that step isn't automatic like you'd think. I prefer it both to reduce the salt content and mildly rehydrate the beans.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:52 pm

I always rinse them, for the reasons you cited.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:07 pm

It's worth mentioning here that stir-fried beef with snow peas is made exactly the same way as beef with green peppers, only you use 1/4 lb of snow pea pods instead of the bell peppers. If necessary, remove the tough strings from the pea pods by grabbing the stem end and pulling the string off.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:13 am

And if it's Chinese red pork instead of beef, it's called Green Pea Chow Yuk. Or so it was in the So Cal Chinese restaurants of my childhood, usually with a few water chestnuts thrown in. It was my #1 favorite dish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov