The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus: Open that Bottle MONTH ... EXTENDED!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus: Open that Bottle MONTH ... EXTENDED!

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Almost all people who are “into wine” have a treasured bottle that has been sitting in the cellar, waiting for the right moment. “Open that Bottle Night” was created by Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher with treasured bottle in mind. OtBN happens every year on the last Saturday of February.

Of course most people who are “into wine” have more than that one special bottle. A single night dedicated to opening those precious gems does not really get the job done. 2020 OBtN happened before the pandemic forced everyone into quarantine, but things were still a bit grim on February 29, 2020.

Nearing the end of three months of socially separated, favorite restaurants closed or reduced to takeout, and panic buying of yeast, flour, toilet paper and disinfectants, it’s time to declare our June Wine Focus to be “Open that Bottle Month.” Spend some time digging around for those special wines that never seem to find the right time. You have all month to figure out the right food pairing, whether it’s hamburgers on the grill, sous vide pork loin, or a wild and crazy vegetarian curry. Figure it out. Open a fantastic wine. Open several. We have a whole month, and we now know for certain that there is no time like the present.

Now June is over, but the pandemic is not, so we're leaving this topic stuck for the duration. Open those bottles and enjoy!

Carpe Corkscrew!

***One little addendum - please feel free to double post your tasting notes in the main forum.***
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: June Wine Focus: Open that Bottle MONTH!

by Jenise » Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 am

Oh boy, this is all the excuse I need!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 28, 2020 12:04 pm

I have dug a bunch of stuff out.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu May 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Great topic....where shall I start? Huet, Tempier, Musar, Selbach-Oster?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Great topic....where shall I start? Huet, Tempier, Musar, Selbach-Oster?

Which bottle causes the most angst to open?
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Fri May 29, 2020 4:04 pm

This sounds like fun! I'm starting with a 2005 Oddero Barolo Vigna Rionda this evening. I have a Filet Mignon and some portobello mushrooms marinating and will throw some Gorgonzola and baked polenta with it

I know it's not June yet, but I don't care, I'm getting started early!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 29, 2020 4:11 pm

Sounds delicious!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri May 29, 2020 7:30 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Great topic....where shall I start? Huet, Tempier, Musar, Selbach-Oster?

Which bottle causes the most angst to open?

Guess a Huet David..concerns about oxidised? But been lucky so far.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 29, 2020 7:34 pm

If it’s oxidized holding it longer won’t help. Let er rip!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 29, 2020 9:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Which bottle causes the most angst to open?

Hmm - have a 1964 Trotanoy I've been postponing, and some 85 Sassicaia that has probably peaked but isn't a rush or a 1963 Fonseca.

Maybe a 1971 Bertani Amarone, if only because it has been a long time since I have opened one.

Only problem is that I have a friend below the border that wouldn't want me to open any of them until the border opens again.....
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun May 31, 2020 2:17 pm

I am all set to open a 2008 Cahors from Chateau Les Croisille. As many know here, it is always a gamble deciding how long to cellar these Cahors Malbecs. I suspect some new world influences here but who knows eh. Stay tuned forumites.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Which bottle causes the most angst to open?

Hmm - have a 1964 Trotanoy I've been postponing, and some 85 Sassicaia that has probably peaked but isn't a rush or a 1963 Fonseca.

Maybe a 1971 Bertani Amarone, if only because it has been a long time since I have opened one.

Only problem is that I have a friend below the border that wouldn't want me to open any of them until the border opens again.....

Yes, but at the same time I want you to be happy. Could be a long wait!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Have had some of these bottles for 30+ years so a couple of months isn't going to bother me.

Still wondering how they are going to work out opening the border. Expect that Trump may want to do so before Trudeau does. And he probably isn't going to be happy with a one way thing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2020 4:50 pm

If you ever feel like going for a drive, the Peace Arch Park is a no-man's-land park and is now open to both sides! We met some couples (who have second homes in our neighborhood) we haven't seen in months there on Friday for some adult beverages and conversation. (I just took iced tea, the teetotaler kind. But others had wine, G&T's and the like in discreet vessels.) Actually makes a fairly pleasant afternoon! They even have barbecues, I can make you dinner!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 31, 2020 4:55 pm

I shall run that by She-who-must-be-obeyed!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2020 8:09 pm

Not a monument kind of wine in the original spirit of OTB but one both Bill Spohn and I are keenly interested in (we both own some but neither of us have tasted one yet), so definitely something I needed to get around to:

2017 Blue Mountain Pinot Noir River Flow Block 23 Okanagan Valley
Color worth noting: lightly complected for a pinot but no deficit in flavor or body (delicacy is underrated). Nose and flavors of tomato skin, red plum and fresh thyme. Silky mouthfeel, perfect finish. A true pinot-auteur's kind of pinot.

For those not familiar with this name (I know Bob Parsons and David Bueker are), there are only two wineries in British Columbia's wine region that I'd say have iconic status even if they don't (yet?) compare to iconoclasts from other regions, and Blue Mountain is one. They make divine bubblies that truly pass for French (I've tested knowledgeable friends on them), pinot noir, gamay, and a bevy of excellent minerally whites. Their style is considered austere--definitely not beginner stuff. Bill can correct my terminology if I don't have the story exactly right but starting in 2017 instead of just making pinot noir regular and reserve, they have separated out three blocks for individual releases called River Flow, Wild Terrain and Gravel Force. Mailing list opportunity only. When Bill suggested that he'd get some for me if I were interested, I couldn't say "You bet!" fast enough, and we're already in for the '18s. GLAD!!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 pm

Very pleased to hear that report! And I have increased our order a little as I expect that it will be in rather limited availability (I've been a listed buyer with them for a decade or more so get priority on stuff like this). As my tastes in pinot are more to Burgundian and Oregon than California, that sounds like it is right up my alley. I used to enjoy some of the Carneros and Santa Barbara producers but we don't have a reliable supply up here.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun May 31, 2020 9:57 pm

Hope to visit Blue Mtn in late July if tasting room is open. Will be east of there doing some butterfly surveys...Grand Forks, Rock Creek.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 pm

They will reevaluate later next month so there is a chance you can visit. May have to book ahead. If you go, do post notes!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:25 am

I opened a 1986 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild last night. Disappointing. Dark color, but all acidity and tannins. The cork was stained purple all the way around when I pulled it, so there may be some damage here, although I didn't notice any TCA. I'm going to try another bottle.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Bummer.

I have a single bottle of '86 Mouton that came from the original owner's controlled storage. I may pop it this month.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:21 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Very pleased to hear that report! And I have increased our order a little as I expect that it will be in rather limited availability (I've been a listed buyer with them for a decade or more so get priority on stuff like this). As my tastes in pinot are more to Burgundian and Oregon than California, that sounds like it is right up my alley. I used to enjoy some of the Carneros and Santa Barbara producers but we don't have a reliable supply up here.

Bill, an important aspect not mentioned in my TN: I did not sense a lot of structure for aging in this one. It drinks perfectly right now. Can't wait to try the other two and compare.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Important to get a handle on ageability.

Their regular PN has a 5-7 year window usually.
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm

Notes from my Red 2005 Oddero Barolo Vigna Rionda:

Poured this into the decanter about 30 minutes before the meal. First thing that surprised me was the color. This wine was brick red, but showed very little signs of age and also showed no orange hues I often find with older Nebbiolo. On the nose this showed a lot of black licorice and that beautiful rose aroma Barolo can be known for. This smelled so strongly of roses that my wife took it to the rose bush on the other side of our yard to compare. A very real grilled meat flavor and dark red fruits, cherries and even boysenberry, but the fruit was in the back ground.

On the palate the tannin is still very present with elevated acidity as well. Also has a nice mineral edge which I love. This drinks like a baby. Not the most powerful Barolo I've ever had, but could easily be one of the prettiest. Alcohol is at 14.5%. I am often very sensitive to high alcohol, but you would never know it was that high from drinking it.

So glad I have so many more, one of the more beautiful wines I've had in many years...
Next