The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hey, I`m getting the hang of Brunello!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Hey, I`m getting the hang of Brunello!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:25 am

To be quite honest, I have rather neglected Tuscan reds of late but my perception is starting to change especially after sampling this Brunello di Montalcino.

2010 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino, Tuscany Italy.

Good natural cork, $60 Cdn...ouch is right but look at the history and quality. Bottle had been decanted and opened 2 hours. Quite light really but no real evolvement in the color. Cherries, some oak, curranty on the nose, really quite delightful. dry, medium-bodied, good acidity, some tannins here for sure, spice, v good backbone. The balance is good, I hear this is an exceptional vintage. I found it drinks well now but chap leading the tasting said wait 15 years?
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

Re: Hey, I`m getting the hang of Brunello!

by Mike_F » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:01 am

$60 Cdn is actually less than the going price in Tuscany for that vintage of Il Poggione. The 2010 was scored very highly by a number of critics, so the price of a bottle at my usual haunts when I visit the area is ~50-60 Euros. I hope this does not represent the "new normal" for the winery, as this is a Brunello I have made a habit of buying every year, and at that price I will have to change habits...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 am

Sounds a good one, Bob. I'm surprised a Brunello is showing so well as soon as its 6th year.

I love Tuscan reds, especially those from Sangiovese. There is much good entry level Chianti, as well as Rosso di Montalcino, Morellino di Scansano, etc, which should cost a lot less than $60 CDN and be accessible young.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Of late it's even been possible to get some good quality Brunello around $30, and the 2010 vintage is deep in values like that, with high scores (FWIW) and good longevity predicted. Simply put, great time to be a Brunello lover.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)