This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older recipe posts from The Forum Kitchen and other archival Kitchen posts.

RCP: Pork Chops with Potatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Pork Chops with Potatoes

by Ted Richards » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:16 am

Here's another tasty Laura Calder recipe I tried this past week. It's kind of like scalloped potatoes with embedded pork chops and a bit of choucroute garni flavours (from the juniper berries and white wine). It went nicely with a Santa Julia Syrah Rosé from Argentina. The original recipe is at http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Main/Pork/recipe.html?dishID=9100

For the options, i used rendered pork fat to brown the chops and white wine and beef stock as the liquids. Next time I may try removing the parchment paper part way through to brown the top more.

By the way, I recently heard that Laura won this year's James Beard award for the best cooking show produced in a studio, beating out Iron Chef America, and The Barefoot Contessa.

Pork Chops with Potatoes

Serves 4

4 fatty pork chops
2 cloves garlic sliced
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp pork fat, or butter
1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 onion, sliced
4 slices bacon
1/2 tsp juniper berries
1/2 cup white wine, cider, or beer
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock
A handful of chopped parsley, for garnish

Heat the oven to 325°F/160°C. Make slivers in the chops and slide in slices of garlic. Season the chops with salt and pepper and brown them in the fat in a hot pan, about 3 minutes per side.

Arrange half the potatoes and onions in a casserole. Season with salt and pepper and lay the chops on top. Scatter over the bacon and juniper berries. Cover with the remaining potatoes and onions. Season again. Pour over the wine. Cut a piece of parchment to fit over the potatoes and lay it in on top.

Bake the dish for about an hour and a half, pouring in the stock and half time. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Pork Chops with Potatoes

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:54 am

This is great comfort food....I want to a try this on a blistery winter night. It is still in the 90's here. :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Pork Chops with Potatoes

by Jenise » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:48 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:This is great comfort food....I want to a try this on a blistery winter night. It is still in the 90's here. :(

Won't be long now. We had to turn on the furnace today for the first time...feels like winter already here.

Ted, nice recipe. I am suddenly reminded of my first scalloped potato dish. It included embedded pork chops prepared by a school friend's mother from a Campbell's soup recipe that used cream of mushroom as the sauce base. I believe that some sour cream, bay leaves and ketchup were also part of the seasoning and I took the recipe home to my mother so that we could make it, too. And I remember that my mom conveniently "forgot" the ketchup and supplied worcestershire sauce instead. To this day hardly a winter goes by that I don't comfort myself with a of scalloped potatoes with pork chops, though it's all from scratch now and seasoned according to my whim of the day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov