The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gaston-Chiquet vs. Bollinger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Gaston-Chiquet vs. Bollinger

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:56 am

I had the opportunity to compare two Champagnes over the weekend.

On Friday it was the July 2005 disgorgement of the Gaston-Chiquet Carte Verte Brut Tradition which was as good as it has been since I first tasted it. Rich but lively on the palate, with deep red fruit tones and lighter citrusy notes over the top. Fine mousse and just very refreshing.

On Sunday we uncorked the Bollinger Special Cuvee of unknown disgorgement (but recent stock from a place that goes through the stuff quickly, so should be pretty recent, but likely not as recent as the Gaston-Chiquet). This was certainly a good bottle, and bigger than the Gaston-Chiquet, but without the lively interplay of fruits; more of a static wine that imposed itself on the palate.

I am a Bollinger fan (and a fan of the Special Cuvee), but I have to say that the more I taste the Gaston-Chiquet the more I am won over. And that goes for grower Champagnes in general. The grower wines are so much more intellectually intruiging, as well as just plain fun. I wonder if the pressure to have a consistent blend has taken the life out of the big NVs.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Gaston Rocks!

by James Roscoe » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:54 pm

My wife is a huge fan of the Gaston. I have to admit I really like it too. Bollinger is good, but at the same price (around $40 here in the DC area) I'll take the Gaston every time. The only problem is that the Gaston can be hard to find. We need to travel to Columbia, MD to get our stock. Bollinger is ubiquitous.
Cheers!
James R.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Gaston-Chiquet vs. Bollinger

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:50 pm

James,

You should be able to order the Gaston from whoever in DC carries the Terry Theise selecitons. I place an order every summer for Theise wines so that the retailer can get them on the direct import offering. I usually have to get my order in sometime in late June/early July. The wine comes in some time in October.
Decisions are made by those who show up