The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: St. Hallett wines, Barossa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: St. Hallett wines, Barossa

by Jay Labrador » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:40 am

Short notes from a tasting of St Hallett wines, Barossa.

St. Hallett Eden Valley Riesling 2004 - Pineapple and a rather odd note of olives in the mouth. Crisp, with just a touch of sweetness to keep it friendly. Refreshing. I generally don't like Oz Riesling but I will happily drink this.

Poacher's Blend Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc 2004 - A bit smoky on the nose. Slightly over ripe fruit character. Gentle wine. Some sweetness. Surprisingly long finish. Makes a good aperitif. Good enough for me.

Gamekeeper's Reserve Shiraz/Grenache 2003 - Alcoholic. Medium weight. Oaky. Bitter. Lots of fruit. Not bad but not good either. I would pass on this.

Faith Shiraz 2003 - Oaky and hot. Flavors of stewed fruit and prunes. Dry finish. I didn't like this at all.

Generally, I thought the whites presented were pleasant enough to drink if you're not looking for complexity or a serious wine. The two reds were just not my type; being too oaky and heavy for me.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Re: TN: St. Hallett wines, Barossa

by Jay Miller » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:40 pm

My recollection of some St. Hallet's 'Old Block' Shiraz from the mid-90s was that they were relatively restrained and rather tasty (of course that may just be fallible memory). Sorry to hear they are going the way of spoofulation.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Spoofulation

by Jay Labrador » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:07 am

Spoofulation. Now that's a really good word for a bad thing.