The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: California ho!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: California ho!

by Jenise » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:42 pm

At a get-together last night in Vancouver:

1994 Peter Michael "Les Pavot" cabernet
Had these wines been served blind, from the sweet nose I'd have guessed this to be more merlot than not, but alas it's more cab. Somewhat mauve in color and more delicate than I'd have expected a 94 to be, but nice.

1994 Caymus Special Select cabernet, Napa
Brighter with more acid and lacking the sweetness of the Peter Michael, I preferred this of the two 94's but still found it rather one-noted and a bit underwelming on the mid-palate.

1995 Lokoya Mt. Veeder cabernet, Napa
Considerably more youthful than the first two with dried black cherry fruit and a satisfying, earthy minerality. Delicious, and my WOTN.

1997 Montelena cabernet, Napa
A wine that made me think of a long-ago conversation with Mark Horvatich wherein he said he likes Montelena better in the less ripe vintages. Well, I'm there. This wine was very good, plummy and inviting, but the edges were unexpectedly soft, and I could tell this wine would never have the focus of the 92's I've liked so much over the years.

2002 D. R. Stephens cabernet, Moose Valley Vineyard, Napa
'Ho' is right. Sweet, marshmallow vanilla nose and even sweeter flavors in the mouth, this is the sweetest California cab I've ever tasted, sweet in a way that occluded all traces of cabernet fruit as I know it. Loud and obvious, whoring around for points that, if it gets them, will be a sure sign of the apocalypse. Highly thought of by the traveller from Los Angeles who brought it and described it as almost making cult status but not quite, it was without question the worst 'pointy' wine I've ever tasted. Even the committed Aussie fan in the group hated it.

2000 Shafer Hillside cabernet, Napa
A very good cab that speaks well to it's grape and origins. Blackberry and plum fruit with solid structure, very enjoyable now in it's more-primary state but should age very nicely.
Last edited by Jenise on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

BradK

Rank

Just got here

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:29 am

NYC

Re: TN: California ho!

by BradK » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Geez, Jenise, you had me worried with the title. I didn't know what kind of note to expect. :wink:

Brad
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Welcome BK

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Hope you brought some chenin with you!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Welcome BK

by Jenise » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:28 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Hope you brought some chenin with you!

Bob, no, I was helpless! But the company and the evening were delightful. Really hated to not love the wines which were so generously offered. [/u]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:57 pm

A friend just sent me the Speck's rating on that horrid D. R. Stephens mentioned in my notes above. The end is the world is truly near:

D.R. STEPHENS Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Moose Valley Vineyard 2002
Score: 95
Price: $100

Region: Napa

Issue: Jun 15, 2005

A seductive style, with layers of rich, ripe currant, blackberry and creamy mocha-chocolate oak. Deeply concentrated and deftly balanced, this keeps the focus on the fruit and wood, ending with intense, chewy tannins. Fans of up-front, opulent young Cabernets are in for a treat. A winner from this rising star. Best from 2006 through 2012. 989 cases made. (JL)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:17 pm

Jenise wrote:A friend just sent me the Speck's rating on that horrid D. R. Stephens mentioned in my notes above. The end is the world is truly near:

D.R. STEPHENS Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Moose Valley Vineyard 2002
Score: 95
Price: $100

Region: Napa

Issue: Jun 15, 2005

A seductive style, with layers of rich, ripe currant, blackberry and creamy mocha-chocolate oak. Deeply concentrated and deftly balanced, this keeps the focus on the fruit and wood, ending with intense, chewy tannins. Fans of up-front, opulent young Cabernets are in for a treat. A winner from this rising star. Best from 2006 through 2012. 989 cases made. (JL)

How they can put "deftly balanced" in with "keeps the focus on fruit and wood" and "creamy mocha-chocolate oak" is beyond me.

It really does sound horrible. I'd be furious if I spent $100 on a bottle of wine that tastes like that description.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Of those wines the only one I have had is the '94 Caymus Special Selection. In a tasting of a dozen Cal Cabs from '94 this was my second or maybe third favorite (the BV George de Latour Private Reserve was my favorite.) I had a hard time trying to describe the Caymus though because where you speak of a one-note slight disappointment I was getting two notes (a higher more ethereal layer on top of a more down-to-earth juice). This was in 2004 and I don't know when this wine will peak or if it already has.
I enjoy your notes as always.