The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: 2004 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:13 pm

2004 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Beaujolais $18 Imp: KLWM 12.5% abv.
Ok, it doesn’t have the character of Brun and it’s a bit too pricey, but this wine from Claude Geoffray sure is yummy. Light pinotish garnet color with a bursting, clean flavors of sour cherry and mineral. Light on the palate and wonderful acidity that just wakes up my taste buds. This is delicious.
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 2004 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:54 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:2004 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Beaujolais $18 Imp: KLWM 12.5% abv.
Ok, it doesn’t have the character of Brun and it’s a bit too pricey, but this wine from Claude Geoffray sure is yummy. Light pinotish garnet color with a bursting, clean flavors of sour cherry and mineral. Light on the palate and wonderful acidity that just wakes up my taste buds. This is delicious.

Wow, I guess I'm not getting much support on the anti-04 beaujolais front. I found this too shrill. And that's not usually a complaint of mine!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:45 pm

Wow, I guess I'm not getting much support on the anti-04 beaujolais front. I found this too shrill. And that's not usually a complaint of mine!

I just found this so refreshing compared to a couple of over-ripe, over-oaked, heavy shiraz we had the previous nights. So by shrill do you mean too much, too sharp acid, Rahsaan?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:I just found this so refreshing compared to a couple of over-ripe, over-oaked, heavy shiraz we had the previous nights. So by shrill do you mean too much, too sharp acid, Rahsaan?

Oh I see how it could be refreshing in comparison. But yes, I mean I don't (usually) object to acid, but I just found the body completely lacking. Others seem to be loving the 04s so I don't know if my palate has been hijacked or what, but I won't be buying any more for the time being..
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:04 pm

but I just found the body completely lacking

You aren't alone there, Rahsaan. When I last had the 2004 Jean Noël Sambardier, Domaine Manoir du Carra Beaujolais-Villages Non-Filtre, I found it delicious and (again) refreshing but others at the table commented that if it wasn't non-filtre there would be nothing left to the body at all.