This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older recipe posts from The Forum Kitchen and other archival Kitchen posts.

RCP: KILLER Crockpot Lemon-Garlic Chicken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: KILLER Crockpot Lemon-Garlic Chicken

by Bill Spencer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:22 pm

%^)

Try this once and I guarantee it will become a permanent fixture in your recipe box !

3 Lbs Skinless boneless chicken thighs and/or breasts
1/2 C Freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 C Fresh garlic cloves, crushed
1 t Season salt
1 t Poultry seasoning
2 Dashes Tabasco
1 C White wine

Place the lemon juice, crushed garlic cloves, season salt, poultry seasoning, tabasco, and white wine in the crockpot and gently stir until well mixed ... add the chicken ... set the crockpot on low and cover ... cook for 8 to 10 hours (put it on before you leave for work in the morning and it will be done by dinner time) ... serve over rice ...

Makes approximately 6 servings

All you need is a salad, maybe a veggie, and some good bread to complete the meal ... oh - and some wine to drink with it !

Clink !

%^)
Last edited by Bill Spencer on Thu May 04, 2006 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RC: KILLER Crockpot Lemon-Garlic Chicken

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:32 pm

This sounds great Bill, I love your lemon recipes! Thanks for always posting for us.

I'm wondering if you know what is up with the limes I purchase in the local supermarket.....no juice! This morning I actually had to microwave them for 15 seconds to get them to release some juice. They have been tough and hard to extract juice from for about a month now. I've not had this trouble with the lemons.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:52 pm

I just printed out the recipe. Sounds good, and I like easy dishes like this when I know the evening is going to be hectic. Thanks, Bill.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Yep - I sure know why ...

by Bill Spencer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:06 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I'm wondering if you know what is up with the limes I purchase in the local supermarket.....no juice! This morning I actually had to microwave them for 15 seconds to get them to release some juice. They have been tough and hard to extract juice from for about a month now. I've not had this trouble with the lemons.

The limes are not mature ... that's why there's no juice ... the whosesale lime market is closing in on $1.00 a pound because of the lack of supply ... so the lime growers are "pushing the envelope" by harvesting fruit that is immature and should be left on the tree for a few more weeks to mature ... my Mexican lime tree in my yard has big fruit on it but it's "hard as a rock" and has no juice ... needs another few weeks and some warmer weather to free up the juice ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:12 pm

"Poultry seasoning"--you're using a mixed spice by that name? Would you mind running to the kitchen and typing in the ingredient list? For those (like me) who don't use blends (well, except Lawry's seasoning salt), a list of what you'd use as a substitute would be helpful.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Would you mind running to the kitchen and typing in the ingredient list?

We use Penzeys poultry seasoning. Here are the ingredients:

sage, white pepper, red and green bell peppers, lemon peel, savory, rosemary, dill, allspice, thyme, marjoram and ginger
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:09 pm

Jenise wrote:"Poultry seasoning"--you're using a mixed spice by that name? Would you mind running to the kitchen and typing in the ingredient list? For those (like me) who don't use blends (well, except Lawry's seasoning salt), a list of what you'd use as a substitute would be helpful.

Why make Bill type all that? Just look here:
http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6435
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:55 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Why make Bill type all that? Just look here:
http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6435

John, you are too smart for most of us here! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Bill. I love love love my slow cooker! But I think I'll sub something less vinegary for the Tabasco.... I don't think I even have any in the house.

Have you seen the "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook?"
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

Thanks ! Just ordered it from ...

by Bill Spencer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:53 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Have you seen the "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook?"

%^)

... Zooba.com for $9.95 including handling and shipping ...

Maybe you could sub a teaspoon or two of El Pato brand "hot" tomato sauce for the tabasco and then not worry about the "vinegar" ... on the other hand, think the "vinegar" in the tabasco would "get lost" versus the amount of fresh lemon juice in the recipe ... just my $0.02 ...

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:19 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Thanks for the recipe, Bill. I love love love my slow cooker! But I think I'll sub something less vinegary for the Tabasco.... I don't think I even have any in the house.

Have you seen the "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook?"

Cynthia, I don't own Tabasco either. A couple shakes of any other kind of hot sauce you like or a pinch or two of red pepper flakes would be just as good.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Cynthia, I don't own Tabasco either. A couple shakes of any other kind of hot sauce you like or a pinch or two of red pepper flakes would be just as good.

I wouldn't run out to get the Tabasco brand either, but I think Bill make a good point about the Tabasco "vinegar" getting lost in the lemon juice. So, I wouldn't worry about the vinegar either.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Jenise wrote: A couple shakes of any other kind of hot sauce you like or a pinch or two of red pepper flakes would be just as good.

Oh, I know, Jenise. I'm a chilehead of the first order! I have a container of apple smoked red savina powder on my desk as I write.

I also couldn't figure out what impact a couple dashes of any hot sauce would have in the entire crockpot, but then again, I tend to really like a lot of spice and heat. I can't cook green chile stew for my best friend 'cause I can't tell when it's too hot for her. I have to make two separate (and unequal) batches!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:02 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Oh, I know, Jenise. I'm a chilehead of the first order! "deleted"

I also couldn't figure out what impact a couple dashes of any hot sauce would have in the entire crockpot, but then again, I tend to really like a lot of spice and heat. I can't cook green chile stew for my best friend 'cause I can't tell when it's too hot for her. I have to make two separate (and unequal) batches!

the idea of green chili stew sounds really good Cynthia. Any chance you could post your recipe(s)?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Jenise wrote:I also couldn't figure out what impact a couple dashes of any hot sauce would have in the entire crockpot, but then again, I tend to really like a lot of spice and heat. I can't cook green chile stew for my best friend 'cause I can't tell when it's too hot for her. I have to make two separate (and unequal) batches!

Sounds like me and my husband! He's a wimp. :)

But yeah, I take that 'dash' stuff with a grain of salt and tend to ramp things up a bit more wanting the dishes to be distinctly different from other dishes in which I also use a ton of lemon and garlic to season chicken. That reminds me, I haven't made my favorite Rao's chicken in a long, long time....
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:38 pm

Jenise wrote:I haven't made my favorite Rao's chicken in a long, long time....

%^)

Glad you mentioned that ! One of my favorite recipes, too, that's been too long since we've made ... umm, ummmmmm ...

Clink !

%^)