Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Party Chicken, by Michael Ruhlman

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Party Chicken, by Michael Ruhlman

by Jenise » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:44 am

I loved this recent column by Michael Ruhlman where he revisits a dish he loved in childhood and up thru a very memorable 16th birthday. I have never heard of Party Chicken, but once upon a time in a previous marriage someone gave me this recipe and I made it often who was as fat and salty as the recipe. I note that back then, there wasn't a low sodium version of Campbells Mushroom soup, and the recipe I followed didn't include bacon, but otherwise it's all there. Oh, I note that I used Hormel dried beef in a jar, but it was actual slices of beef--the ground/formed version Michael uses is unknown to me.

https://ruhlman.com/party-chicken/?unapproved=123188&moderation-hash=272a0b388f31456a37314f069a37441d#comment-123188
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Party Chicken, by Michael Ruhlman

by Larry Greenly » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:54 am

Fun article. But the salt level (even using cooking sherry with its salt!) had to exceed anything at Applebee's. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Party Chicken, by Michael Ruhlman

by Jenise » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:57 am

I definitely didn't use cooking sherry either! Nor would I have used a whole can of it though I can't really attest to amounts, just ingredients.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov