Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you have a least favorite food season?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Do you have a least favorite food season?

by John F » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:36 pm

I was flipping through the recently arrived Fine Cooking..... without much enthusiasm. Towards the end I started thinking... maybe part of this is I’m just not that motivated by spring(especially early spring) foods.... ham, various lamb concepts, tons of greens etc etc

It’s not that it’s bad but when I think of foods and things I associate with fall, winter or summer I feel better than when I think about spring.

Any takers on this topic?!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Do you have a least favorite food season?

by Larry Greenly » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 am

In a similar vein, I've often thought Spring was the best season to diet.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 am

I would have said no, things to love about every season. But if I had to choose it wouldn't be spring. What's not to love about the return of greens, the brief seasons for ramps/morels/shad roe etc, lamb, asparagus? :D
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:28 am

Early spring is the toughest season for fruit, but certainly better than winter for vegetables. These two categories are the center of my diet!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 pm

I think that I don't have a least favorite because I look forward to all seasonal fruits and vegetables. I have to say that by the end of fall I am desperate for winter citrus and I miss the fresh greens that I can grow and pick for dinner from my yard and I'm getting tired of what I've processed from earlier seasons. So actually I've talked myself into saying that winter is my least favorite food season...
Snap peas, escarole, spinach and arugula have already sprouted and I am dreaming about how to use them.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 am

I'm with you Christina. Winter's my least favorite. I love summer for all the usual obvious reasons--things from the garden, cooking outside, cold dishes--and I love autumn for the return to braises and soups. Winter's an extension of autumn and but for the arrival of citrus fruit I'd be bored, culinarily speaking, out of my mind.

Speaking of spring and lamb, I wish we lived in a place where spring lamb was a thing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:33 pm

More reasons to love spring: lettuces, radishes and cucumbers are sweeter now than at any other time of year, noticeably so. Artichokes (I'm making stuffed ones for dinner tonight) start coming in from California, and the best green grape in the world--uber crisp and tangy-- the Perlette, comes up from Chile for a brief appearance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov