Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New book: HOOKED

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

New book: HOOKED

by Jenise » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Haven't read it, but I ordered the book after listening to a very entertaining hour-long interview yesterday with the author, Michael Moss. It's all pretty much as we who think a lot about what we eat suspected, of course, but even then: will pause all the longer next time I am tempted to put a potato chip in my mouth.

Was also particularly dismayed to think about the effects of sugar/fat/salt on friends who primarily live on that spectrum and have the health issues to match, including having been told recently that diabetes-related blindness is now in the cards for one of them. The grief I feel about that is compounded by knowing that given the chance of a do-over to prevent all this, he wouldn't take it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Food-Giants-Exploit-Addictions/dp/0812997298/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Hooked&qid=1618343865&s=books&sr=1-1
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

Re: New books: HOOKED

by Richard L » Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Jenise, I feel fortunate in really liking lots of raw fruit and raw or lightly cooked vegetables, as well as having 2 glasses of red wine a night usually. I put my thick bones down to having drunk lots of raw milk (on farms) till my mid-thirties, and I still drink some. I do sometimes eat things like potato chips and don't worry about it. The wine does not seem to have a bad effect on my "brain power". The people in the south of France consume lots of foie gras. This is actually very good for the heart, apparently, as it contains lots of the higher forms of vitamin K2. If you like natto it also has desirable forms of K2, but I just take it in pill form.

Cheeses like Brie and Camembert and egg yolks have some K2. I think your friend could find things that taste good and are good for him, and I certainly hope he will. I think it is also possible that the ingredients in Vision Alive or something like it would be good for his eyes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 07, 2021 5:29 pm

No, my friend won't change. Doesn't want to. The list of foods he won't eat is 18 times longer than the list of foods he will eat, and that includes almost everything in the produce department. It's really sad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Richard L

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:46 pm

by Richard L » Fri May 07, 2021 6:21 pm

Jenise, is your friend as obstinate about taking things that might help his eyes as he is about food?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: New book: HOOKED

by Jenise » Sat May 08, 2021 11:14 am

I don't know; but I think a doctor would have to recommend it.