Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine With Bulgogi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Wine With Bulgogi

by Bill Spohn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Doing bulgogi tonight (some sort of grilled beast is mandatory by SWMBO, who likes her culinary traditions like steak on Friday nights even though we are both retired and Fridays no longer represent the end of labour until Monday morning.

Giving some thought to what wines will best complement the dish. To remind what goes into it, aside from beef, the marinade contains Asian pear, soy sauce. brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, grated ginger, and (this sets it apart from simple teriyaki) some gochujang (Korean red pepper paste).

My inclination would be a syrah based wine (think we opened a Fox Creek JSM last time) but if anyone else has any interesting suggestions, I'd be delighted to hear them!

PS - the side will be bean sprouts with togarashi, sesame oil and soy.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Wine With Bulgogi

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Syrah sounds good. I also think a spicy red, like carignan, would work well. And, if you have a big, phenolic white -- gewurztraminer or cortese (Gavi) -- especially if slightly off-dry, should marry happily.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:49 pm

With the grilling, a bit of sweetness in the marinade, and the hot pepper, I'd try a substantial Zinfandel - my preference would be an older Ridge Lytton Springs or Geyserville (of course, that's what I have in the cellar :D). Your mileage may vary.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have a few zins - including early 90s Renwood and Geyserville old enough to be called Geezerville. Will have to go fossicking in the cellar to see if they are really there (sometimes bottles get drunk without being removed from the data bank - very fristrating, looking for phantom bottles!)

Also have a Fox Creek 2000 JSM back up!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am

I'd go zinfandel or Aussie shiraz too, Bill, knowing you have the latter and need opportunities to drink them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 am

I went with the Fox Creek JSM - the ripeness of the wine worked well against the spice in the bulgogi.

Tonight pork tenderloin with a Dijon/creme fraiche sauce - red or white wine? Pondering everything from a rich Chard on one end to a cru Beaujolais on the other. Hmmm - or a fairly dry Riesling, or.......
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:24 am

Be careful regarding the sesame oil in the side dish. In my experience, the aroma of sesame oil is capable of obliterating any nuances in red wine.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:23 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I went with the Fox Creek JSM - the ripeness of the wine worked well against the spice in the bulgogi.

Tonight pork tenderloin with a Dijon/creme fraiche sauce - red or white wine? Pondering everything from a rich Chard on one end to a cru Beaujolais on the other. Hmmm - or a fairly dry Riesling, or.......

Add morels and Vin Jaune to that sauce. 8)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Jenise will tell you that even ex-lawyers have no morels!

That is actually a great idea - think I have a pouch of morels here somewhere, however while I majored in Jura-sprudence, I lack any Vin Jaune lurking in my cellar.

The original recipe was something that I was thinking harder about Riesling for, but if I add morels that might tend one toward a white Rhone (have 2018 Pierre Gaillard St. Joseph Blanc, or 2017 Domaine Vincent Paris Granit Blanc on hand). Decisions!

But then there is not much else to do these days, so pondering wine and food is as good as anything.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I went with the Fox Creek JSM - the ripeness of the wine worked well against the spice in the bulgogi.

I'm a fan of pinot and pork, and with the mustard? Burgundy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:05 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Jenise will tell you that even ex-lawyers have no morels!

Well, they are a cut and dried matter, like a lot of legal things.

That is actually a great idea - think I have a pouch of morels here somewhere, however while I majored in Jura-sprudence, I lack any Vin Jaune lurking in my cellar.

I have a stash of dried morels that are soon to find themselves in hot water.

The original recipe was something that I was thinking harder about Riesling for, but if I add morels that might tend one toward a white Rhone (have 2018 Pierre Gaillard St. Joseph Blanc, or 2017 Domaine Vincent Paris Granit Blanc on hand). Decisions!

Yes.