Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Freezing tips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Freezing tips

by Larry Greenly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:20 pm

WAPO had an article about seven foods you should store in the freezer. I already do with one exception because I don't have the room. (Includes yeast, Jenise.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/04/05/freezer-storage-yeast-flour-nuts/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Freezing tips

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 pm

They didn't mention one of my favorites: the heads of ex-lovers.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:49 am

Jeff said:

They didn't mention one of my favorites: the heads of ex-lovers.

Anybody seen Pumpkin lately? :lol:
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:36 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:They didn't mention one of my favorites: the heads of ex-lovers.

They take up less space if you shrink them first.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:53 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:They didn't mention one of my favorites: the heads of ex-lovers.

They take up less space if you shrink them first.

My friend, The Witch Doctor, he told me what to do.... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 am

I store my chilli peppers, I get a huge crop at the end of summer, and frozen they last me all the following year.

Indeed, since I had a disastrous year n 2020 and all my chilli plants died so I got no crop, I'm still eating ones frozen in previous years. I have three peppers 6 days a week.

I also store chopped ginger.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:25 am

Can't top Jeff's comments.

BUT I will call attention to the tomato paste in that article--way too much trouble. As recommended here by Robin decades ago: forget the blobs, just make a patty inside a plastic bag and break (or cut) off what you need. Much easier to make and store.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:18 pm

Where are the egg whites?! Those small plastic containers that are now everywhere are just the right size for two large egg whites to store and freeze. Been freezing globs of tomato pastes for years. Also, about once a year I make demi glace for those great sauces for roasts. I freeze them in ice cube trays I bought for just this reason, then pop them out and put them into gallon sized freezer bags (not before individually wrapping them in cling wrap - worth the effort), and a harvest of herbs at the end of the season. One of my favorites is yeast. The freezer "puts it to sleep" until ready to use. I've never lost a jar or any recognizable leavening effect. Good recommendations, all! :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:23 pm

I would freeze egg whites but just don't end up with leftovers to freeze! I love fried egg whites (and not the yolks) so leftovers is always a breakfast suggestion.

Definitely need to start freezing ginger, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:37 pm

I freeze chiles (the supermarket sells them in inconveniently large packages), lemongrass, and galangal. I store fresh ginger root in the fridge in high-proof vodka. Galangal, unfortunately goes fibrous if stored under vodka. I also freeze chicken and beef stock in the ice cube tray so that they're conveniently available when you need just a few tablespoons. Ditto with any tomato sauce left over after making a recipe.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:04 pm

So how many of you have more than one freezer? I have two, both the lesser portion of refrigerators though. Have been so tempted to buy a stand-alone, but then that would just be an invitation to overfill as I already do what I have. Never have room for sauces, seasonal fruits or stocks.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Nature abhors a vacuum, and in my case two standalone freezers would both soon be packed to neutron star density.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:23 pm

My apartment is about the size of a hollow tree so just one fridge/freezer combo here. (Freezer on top.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Jenise wrote:So how many of you have more than one freezer?

Guilty! One in the fridge and a small stand alone.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:39 pm

Guilty.....kept the fridge/freezer combo from the old house and it is now in the accessory pantry in the basement. Periodically, pre Covid did Freezer Raid Dinners where the menu was based entirely on freezer items. A great way for a little clean out and creativity spur. In the era of much bigger dinner parties couldn't do without a second storage fridge.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 am

I'm like Larry. While I envy you have one, a stand-alone freezer would just be an invitation to buy too much. I'd fill it in a nanosecond.