Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Facts about Pyrex

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Facts about Pyrex

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 pm

Some of you may have heard that newer pyrex is not as good as the old stuff. The following may interest you:

Pyrex was invented ca. 1915, the brand owned by Corning.

First, note that there are two types of glass in question. Ordinary glass like in windowpanes or drinking glasses, which are made from soda-lime, and the more expensive borosilicate glass that is used in the original pyrex. (Before any objections are raised, there are many other types of glass.)

Along the way, Corning owned Corelle, which manufactured pyrex, and Corning also had a licensing agreement with Newell Cookware Europe. In 1998 Corning and Corelle split. After that Corelle switched from borosilicate to the lower-quality soda-lime to make their pyrex. Newell never changed the formula and their European cookware is still borosilicate.

So how can you tell which you have? Is the glassware you're inspecting at a garage or estate sale the real stuff or the inferior stuff? Easy. There several ways to determine which is which, but two methods are extremely simple.

First, look at the edges. Everyone has probably seen the edge of a sheet of glass. It's green and pyrex made of soda-lime glass is also green on its edges. The borosilicate type is colorless.

Second, (this is too easy) look at the logo on the glassware. If it says PYREX, it's borosilicate; if it says pyrex, it's the cheaper soda-lime.

So now go check your measuring cups, pie pans, and loaf pans. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Facts about Pyrex

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:29 am

Mine all say PYREX; no surprise, they're all old. I even have a couple Corelle dinner plates!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:57 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Mine all say PYREX; no surprise, they're all old. I even have a couple Corelle dinner plates!

I have a mix: a couple of lowercase pyrex loaf pans; everything else is uppercase. I have a stack of Corelle plates that we ordinarily eat off. Not sure where we got them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 am

Interesting, Larry, didn't know. My measuring cups are pyrex at best. I mean, they're brand Pyrex, but I replaced my four cup many years ago and the new 4 cup irritates because the pouring spout is much shallower than the old one was. Too shallow for thick stuff like batters--stuff overflows if you pour any faster than 1 tblsp per minute, or what feels like that.

We bought second hand Corelle for our travel van. They're so thin and they stack so tightly--meaning the fit in a small vertical space and don't shift/clank--we keep six Corelle plates upright on their side and, made out of unbreakable plastic suitable for having on boats, six more plates, six juice glasses, six bigger glasses and four cereal bowls all of which nest well in one plastic bin about the height of the plates and just 5 inches wide. For space efficiency in a place where every inch is a premium, doesn't get any better than that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:00 am

I am a container nut! Especially anything for the kitchen -- and PYREX glassware. I knew there was a difference, but I never knew exactly how or why. For me, it's about anything with a minor lip on the edge. If it has a straight edge, I'm usually not interested, unless it is glass bakeware. Now you are going to have me pull out everything I own and look for the "union label". GRRRRR! :? But, I'm also feeling a little like having some terrible disease I'd really rather not know about. GRRRR!!! On my way to the kitchen. :(
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:45 am

I never knew any of this either! Naturally I had to go look, and sure enough, the two-cup measure that I use all the time is a lowercase pyrex, with the telltale green edge.

But here's a workaround! I never noticed this, just assumed it was Pyrex brand, but my one-cup measure isn't labeled Pyrex, it's labeled ... Oven Basics! It has an Anchor Hocking anchor logo discreetly etched into the bottom, and it does not flash green. Who knew!?
Oven-Basics.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 am

Borosilicate glass tolerates higher temperatures better than soda glass because it expands less when heated. Because of this thermal expansion property it is the glass of choice for amateur telescope mirrors. When Corelle switched to soda glass, there was a minor crisis in the amateur Astronomy world as PYREX mirrors disappeared from the market. Fortunately other manufacturers have stepped up to provide annealed borosilicate glass to the amateur Astronomy market.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am

Right on.

There was a time in my younger days when I thought I would grind my own pyrex telescope mirror and even bought some grinding powder. But, like many things, I never got around to it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:54 am

Robin Garr wrote:But here's a workaround! I never noticed this, just assumed it was Pyrex brand, but my one-cup measure isn't labeled Pyrex, it's labeled ... Oven Basics! It has an Anchor Hocking anchor logo discreetly etched into the bottom, and it does not flash green. Who knew!?

Yes, I have some medium-size glass cups that are absolutely heat-resistant and I always thought they were PYREX but now I see they are actually a Turkish manufacture, Paşabahçe.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 pm

I just have some high temperature lab equipment. Works great.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:49 pm

I'd add that there are other brands that also make borosilicate glass. I have a 1 l. Bomex Florence flask that I use as a 'Hoggit' decanter. I had a friend tub me up a wooden base that it sits in. Fill with wine and pass around the table and they can't set it down, it has to come back to the starting point - no one can 'hoggit'. Used to be a way of not having to always say "Pass the Port, you bounder!"