Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: To-die-for Apple-Cheese Scones (savory)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: To-die-for Apple-Cheese Scones (savory)

by Jenise » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:48 pm

I copied this recipe off a site called Taste of Home. As I said about them in another thread, we fought over these. They are TO DIE FOR. Amazingly fluffy, not the usual scone density, with a crunchy exterior. Not a crumb left.

Total prep time: 30 min
Yield: 8 scones

Important suggestion: combine your dry goods, grate the cheese, have everything ready except the apple which you should dice at the last minute to prevent oxidation. When dinner's 15 minutes away, combine and bake. Serve straight from the oven.

1 3/4 c AP flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 c cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 c buttermilk (or half and half soured with 1 tblsp white vinegar, which is what I did)
1 c shredded cheddar cheese (I used a sharp white cheese)
1 c small-diced peeled apples (essentially one apple's worth)

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk just until moistened. Gently fold in the cheese and apples, turn out onto a floured surface. Knead 10 times (five was just right for me).

Pat into a 9 inch circle, cut into 8 wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet (or skip the grease and use a Silpat). I left mine in the circular shape but separated them all by about 1/4". They oozed just slightly into one another and needed three additional minutes of baking to ensure the center was cooked but still maintained their basic shape. The result looked like a daisy-shaped pull-apart bread for a very effective first-impression.

Bake at 450 for about 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: RCP: To-die-for Apple-Cheese Scones (savory)

by Jenise » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:11 pm

Made these again last night. Again, the bake took about 20 minutes for 8 wedges. Cut smaller, or spaced further apart, will take less time but count on more time than less.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:49 am

Thanks for sharing that Jenise. They sound really good. I’m thinking no need to peel the apple?
And possibly shred it, or does the texture of the diced apple enhance the eat.?
Apple and cheese are a perfect pairing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:58 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Thanks for sharing that Jenise. They sound really good. I’m thinking no need to peel the apple?
And possibly shred it, or does the texture of the diced apple enhance the eat.?
Apple and cheese are a perfect pairing.

I peeled the apple, preferring it to disappear. Shredding it should work, though I wonder if that would make it wetter than knife cuts would result in. Depends on your device, I guess. I used one whole granny smith.