Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What to do with cooked beets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

What to do with cooked beets

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:22 pm

Recently we got a Blue Hill Stone Barns grocery box for a foodie friend's birthday, and decided to get one for ourselves. Lots of fun stuff: duck potato chips 9not duckfat- duck potatoes are an aquatic tuber), sake lees vinaigreete, amakaze bread, salami, much more. The produce included mache (love it), baby carrots, cabbage, and beets. Everything is gone except the beets, which Betsy recently roasted. Beautiful chiogga beets (some redder, some more yellow)- fantastic on salads. But there were like 15-20, and we use one or two a day on salads tops. Before they go bad, any ideas on ways to use a lot? Beet/chevre salads are fine, or we could puree in broth to make a faux borscht (a slight shame as these are so coloful/beautiful). But wondering if anyone has any other ideas?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What to do with cooked beets

by Jenise » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Well, there's beet risotto. And beets as a warm side dish with horseradish in butter--the horseradish really pulls the earthy flavors, we love them this way. Especially good with pork, we think.

And pickled beets would be a perfect way to carry over those you can't get around to. I've done it so many times now I don't need a recipe: roast beets to about 60% cooked, peel under running water, cut into wide crescents, fill super clean quart jars with these, add a garlic clove or two and 1-2 whole star anise, then pour over a 50/50 blend of white vinegar and water seasoned with both salt and sugar. Let cool, refrigerate, they'll last a few months. Delightful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:47 pm

Won't use a lot, but try Pennsylvania Dutch red beet pickled eggs. Tasty and I have a recipe.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Haven't done it, but I really like the sound of this recipe for smashed/charred whole small beets.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/hange ... rred-beets
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:35 pm

Here you go:

https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-ce ... et-goes-on

PS - advise you to use the mordant - will last a lot longer.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:43 pm

Beet Hummus. Love this stuff, along with sweet potato hummus and spicy carrot hummus. They are my go to for take along to backyard gatherings. I also like to make a quick pickled beet as a side dish for fall dishes (Middle eastern flavors): about 2-3 medium roasted beets, cubed, orange zest, cinnamon, cumin, crushed garlic, juice from about half orange, a bit of honey, red wine vinegar (or pomegranate vinegar if on hand), drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper and a few crushed red pepper flakes (optional). Let macerate for at least an hour before serving. Tastes even better the next day.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:30 am

Lot of great ideas, was leaning toward beet risotto, then saw the hummus. Yum!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am

Glad you are inspired by the hummus recipe. It’s really delicious. A note: if you use the linked recipe, I felt the 1Tbsp of cumin was a typo. I used 1 tsp and thought it was perfect for the qty of beets and the other ingredients. But, for my palate, I find cumin very assertive and I find it off putting when I come across a dish when it’s the dominant season. Let me know what you think if you make it.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 am

Thanks for these ideas, I have beets ready to pull up. Jo Ann that hummus is high on the list to try!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 pm

So somehow I missed that Jo Ann's hummus was a link, just added a few beets to my regular hummus recipe (which is actually close to linked recipe). Very good. Color different as these were Chiaggo's that range from pink to orange to gold.
Still had plenty left, so did Jenise's pickle recipe for a pint (thought about Jo Ann's, but used up all our oranges for Momofuko duck). Will see how those are after a couple days pickling. Funnily, I grew up hating beets because all we had were pickled, but my tastes have changed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Dale Williams wrote: Funnily, I grew up hating beets because all we had were pickled, but my tastes have changed.

DITTO. Canned beets, usually in strips on top of the lunch-meat ham and cheap cheese of the then-ubiquitous Chef Salad. Your own fresh pickled beets are so much better.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:19 pm

Not a fan of pickled beets, but I figure that any beet that makes it into borscht can die happy!