Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Tarte Flambée Pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Tarte Flambée Pizza

by Ted Richards » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 am

This came about when I was craving a pizza, but was inspired by a recipe for Tarte Flambée. It's pretty simple, but it turned out much tastier than I expected.

I use (more or less) Kenji López-Alt's pizza dough recipe from Serious Eats (no-knead dough, proofed at room temperature for 8-12 hours, then cold fermented in the fridge for 3-4 days). The baking technique is his too. I didn't have quite enough crème fraîche, so I mixed in a little cream cheese to make up the difference.

Tarte Flambée Pizza

1 batch of pizza dough for a two-person pizza (350-400 g [12-14 oz])
4-6 thick slices bacon, cut crosswise into lardons
1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
375ml (1½ cups) crème fraîche

Place the top oven rack 6 inches below the broiler, place a baking steel or pizza stone on it and preheat the oven to 550°F. or as close as you can get to it. After 30 minutes, turn on the broiler for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a frying pan, sautée the bacon over moderate heat until partially cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon, and allow to drain on paper towels.

Cook the onions in the bacon fat until soft but not browned.

Cut a square of parchment paper, dust it with plenty of flour and form the pizza dough on it into a 13- to 14-inch crust, making sure to keep the rim raised. Spread with the crème fraîche mixture. Scatter the onions over the pizza, followed by the bacon. Slide onto the stone or steel and broil until the pizza is done, 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Tarte Flambée Pizza

by Jenise » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Sounds like a lot of creme fraiche, though I guess over that large a base it might not be. Doesn't come out goopy?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

Re: RCP: Tarte Flambée Pizza

by Ted Richards » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:29 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds like a lot of creme fraiche, though I guess over that large a base it might not be. Doesn't come out goopy?

No, the crème fraîche went on as a thick liquid, but under the broiler it became semi-solid, sort of the consistency of soft, but not runny, Brie. It depends, too, on how big the base is; with a 1/2-inch border all around, going from a 13-inch diameter to 14-inch is almost an 18% increase in area.

I used homemade crème fraîche, by the way. It's a lot cheaper.