Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sheetpan recipes- trendy, but I like

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Sheetpan recipes- trendy, but I like

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:52 pm

NYT has been running a lot of "sheetpan" recipes. This weekend's paper had an entire section devoted to them. with this intro:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/dini ... story.html

David Chang did sheetpan month in Feb,
https://peachykeen.momofuku.com/recipe/

I'm not usually a trendy guy, but I have to confess I've quite enjoyed doing these. When we're both working and I come home, walk the dog, etc it can be quite nice to have something that comes together in 30-60 minutes, and leaves me with one pan to clean.

I love to spend time on multi-step time consuming recipes, but this trend works for me on workdays (I did Chang's fish ssam Sunday for company, even though no time restraints)!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Sheetpan recipes- trendy, but I like

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:21 pm

I've seen lots of these recipes in the past year, but have never tried one. I love my sheet pans and have at least half dozen half-sheets and two quarter-sheets (that I use more frequently now that we are empty nesters and company is way down these days). Just doesn't seem you can cook a full meal in a pan when different ingredients cook at different times and temperatures. But, I caught a foodnetwork show with Ina recently, and she did a sheet pan meal. I'm going to try it! She is my guru.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:48 pm

I love sheet pan cooking. In a way, I've been doing it all my life without giving it a name--especially chicken. Waxed poetic here last week about Mel Clark's Vinegar Chicken.

Can't wait to read those articles, Dale, thanks for posting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:32 am

I've never heard the name 'sheet pan' before, They're a 'baking pan'* here and I've got 5, always had some.

Didn't realise cooking one dish in them was 'a thing', just always been there

*or is it baking tray, or roasting tin?

Just checked amazon.co.uk -baking tray, oven tray.

Searching for sheet pan gets baking tray, baking sheet, baking tin and one sheet pan by American company French Pantry
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:06 am

Peter, the term 'sheet pan' comes out of the commercial kitchen where whole (typically aluminum) sizes fit in their large ovens. Half sheets and quarter sheets are suited to the home oven but probably referred to by most as 'big/large' (about 18x24) and 'small' (about 9x12) baking trays. As compared to the sideless cookie sheets of my childhood, sheet pans have about 1" rims for containment and you can get regular and non-stick versions.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Natu ... 988&sr=8-6
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 am

Yes, I read the article.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:42 am

Oh. Somehow your comments above suggested (to me) that you weren't clear on what they are.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:57 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_pan

Wikipedia refers to both, but like Jenise to me in US usage a tray without sides is a cookie sheet.

I think lots of us have cooked on them for years, but the recent boom in US internet use of sheetpan dinners as a catchphrase generally refers to:
protein and veg (and often starch) cooked together (often with shared sauce/marinade)
generally fairly high heat, with cooking times usually between 20-45 minutes (though I plan on trying the duck recipe on Chang's site,want to use my Tingly Salt)
Basically every can come together in under an hour.
Jo Ann, many of the recipes have you adding protein or vegetables later to make up for varied cooking times
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:11 am

I'm an admitted sheet pan junkie. Couldn't live without them. I use them for so many things, including staging foods that are air-drying or cooling. For instance, I always cook rice hours before a meal to let the water evaporate and create more definite kernel mouthfeel, then reheat for service. Do that in a lined sheetpan. They're also how I make pizza, given that my stupid Viking oven isn't deep enough for round pizzas I have to make rectangular. I own six half sheets and four quarter sheets, and they're all brown/black from constant use/seasoning.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 am

Here's the Melissa Clark recipe I did a few weeks ago. Her quantities were suited to a half sheet (large) pan, so I used a quarter sheet cooking a double chicken breast for two. Most of the vinegar evaporated in the cook so where I thought it was quite a lot to begin with (and I *love* vinegar), I added more at the end to get the assertive flavor and texture I wanted. I served this on white polenta with truffles.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/102 ... e-dressing
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:22 am

Just read thru the David Chang recipes and was impressed by the idea of a sheet pan breakfast! Not very enthusiastic about breakfast myself (usually go straight to lunch) but this would be great for one of those morning-afters where my dinner guests came from a distance and had to stay over.

https://peachykeen.momofuku.com/recipe/ ... li-crunch/
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am

Jenise wrote:I'm an admitted sheet pan junkie. Couldn't live without them. I use them for so many things, including staging foods that are air-drying or cooling. .

And gives you space to separate berries for freezing! Sometimes the summer CSA bounty is more than we can handle.
Jenise that is one sheetpan recipe I missed in NYT, also a vinegar junkie, will do soon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:53 am

It's a great recipe. Dead-easy, company-worthy. For the olives, I used canned green olives, the kind that are in a salty brine, which are different from Castelveltrano but close enough. Afterward I kind of wished I'd roasted some of them with the chicken, as I love the taste of cooked olives and then mixed with the uncooked ones for more vibration in flavor. And like I said, awesome on polenta and a drizzle of good (real deal) white truffle oil was great, too.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks for the Melissa Clark Recipe, Jenise. This kind of recipe is right up my alley. Love vinegar and mustard too (and olives and capers). Will be making this real soon.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm

I'll say the Chang duck with tingly broccolini is a winner, too. You could make a pretty good imitation of his tingly salt using dried shiitake and Sichuan peppercorns.
Also loved a NYT recipe where you roast cabbage and kielbasa together, then toss with cannellinis in a dill/mustard dressing. Incredibly simple (5 minutes prep, 30 minutes total).