Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Taking one for the team (Hexclad skillet)!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Taking one for the team (Hexclad skillet)!

by Jenise » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:35 pm

Staring at my two non-stick skillets, including an All-Clad that's pretty sliced up now after three years (at the most), I finally did the unspeakable: I went online and ordered a new Hexclad, something I've never seen in person or laid hands on, or even known anyone who has one, strictly based on videos I've seen on Facebook. $155 for a 12" skillet.

You are free to call me an idiot. I probably am.

https://hexclad.com/
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Taking one for the team (Hexclad skillet)!

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:19 pm

I'll be very interested to hear your assessment.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:27 pm

I've seen those ads and been pretty tempted, although a while back I got a Misen 12-inch nonstick for about one-third of what you paid and have been utterly satisfied for more than a year. With careful handling, it doesn't even have a nick, and stuff just slides around on it.

Still, I'd love to hear your report too.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:42 pm

This has nothing to do with nicks, but don't use oil spray on it if you want to keep it slick. I learned that years ago.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 pm

Please do tell. I’m on my second All Clad and it is trashed after 1.5 years. Husband is very hard on this utensil. My mother has a ceramic nonstick and the best feature is its bare metal rim which otherwise would become frayed when utensils, even nonstick are rapped against the edge. This too is starting to show breakdown after 9 months.
I keep 8 and 12” de Buyer carbon steel pans in the NYC condo which after long, careful seasoning are perfectly nonstick, easy to clean and maintain. I am very happy with these. Husband doesn’t have the patience to maintain them properly in Wisconsin so they stay in NY where I am the primary cook.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:53 pm

I have a ceramic pan that I tend like it was a baby. So far, so good.

My cast iron is getting pitted. Burning oil onto it does not seem to be sufficient.

I have a couple Calphalon "One" pans that are OK after many years.

I love the few All-Clad pieces that I have.

I have a stainless Cuisinart pot that is just impossible to clean.

I have a few old teflon pots that work beautifully.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:43 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Please do tell. I’m on my second All Clad and it is trashed after 1.5 years. Husband is very hard on this utensil. My mother has a ceramic nonstick and the best feature is its bare metal rim which otherwise would become frayed when utensils, even nonstick are rapped against the edge. This too is starting to show breakdown after 9 months.
I keep 8 and 12” de Buyer carbon steel pans in the NYC condo which after long, careful seasoning are perfectly nonstick, easy to clean and maintain. I am very happy with these. Husband doesn’t have the patience to maintain them properly in Wisconsin so they stay in NY where I am the primary cook.

I feel your pain. From the Hexclad website:

Works on all induction, gas, ceramic and electric cooktops
The only true hybrid (stainless steel + non-stick) cookware featuring a patented laser-etched hexagon design and tri-ply construction.
The aluminum middle layer delivers consistent, even heating while the patented hexagon top layer design creates a series of peaks and valleys.
Valleys are nonstick for easy cleanup and allow cooking with little butter or oil.
Stainless steel peaks give you restaurant-quality results while protecting the pan from peeling and flaking.
HexClad is PFOA-free, dishwasher safe, oven safe up to 500 degrees, induction-ready, scratch-resistant and features stay-cool handles.
Backed by a Lifetime Warranty

What's impressive, too, are the demonstration videos. Which show steel utensils, even a cleaver, in the pan. Btw, I have two old Magnalite pans (all that remains of a set I bought when Bob and I married) that are seasoned like your de Buyers. I have a hard time keeping them seasoned because He Who Does Most Of The Dishes is inclined to go in with the soap and a scrubby, despite my screams.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 am

I don't need another skillet, nonstick or not, but ATK rates the OXO non-stick skillet at $50 as their best choice, FWIW. :?:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:02 pm

They love OXO products on that show, not sure I trust them to be totally objective. But that said, their pan has some of the issues Christine and I have complained about. I want a pan that's good now and virtually unblemished two years from now. The Hexclad could be that pan, the OXO most likely not. Hexclad actually demonstrates slicing a quesadilla with a pizza cutter right in the pan.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Jenise wrote:They love OXO products on that show, not sure I trust them to be totally objective. But that said, their pan has some of the issues Christine and I have complained about. I want a pan that's good now and still performing well two years from now. The The Hexclad could be that pan, the OXO most likely not. Hexclad actually demonstrates slicing a quesadilla with a pizza cutter right in the pan.

ATK does like OXO; I also like some of their products, but you're probably right about the skillet. But keep us informed on how well your Hexclad works over the next couple of years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:ATK does like OXO; I also like some of their products, but you're probably right about the skillet. But keep us informed on how well your Hexclad works over the next couple of years.

Let me put it another way: Hexclad actually advertises that the pans are safe for steel cooking tools. OXO, I'm sure, doesn't.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 pm

Jenise wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:ATK does like OXO; I also like some of their products, but you're probably right about the skillet. But keep us informed on how well your Hexclad works over the next couple of years.

Let me put it another way: Hexclad actually advertises that the pans are safe for steel cooking tools. OXO, I'm sure, doesn't.

I'm also sure OXO doesn't, but you'll find out if Hexclad works as advertised. Nothing like real-world testing. I am curious.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 pm

Me too. The lifetime warranty is sure compelling.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:53 am

Jenise wrote:The lifetime warranty is sure compelling.

Any 2-pt ivory san serif fine print on white paper? Well, that's the life of that skillet. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:07 am

I'll get back to you in a few years on that. :)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:40 pm

Very seriously considering the 8" as this is the size my husband uses daily for breakfast. I will be able to tell it's durability within 6 mo as he is fearless with metal utensils including knives in that pan.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:48 pm

Christina, mine's here and has been used twice. It is seriously the most beautifully made pan I've ever laid eyes on--positively breathtaking. It's like where you've driven a Chevy all your life and then you sit in a Rolls--you don't realize what you were missing out on until you personally experience it. The workmanship details are truly impressive.

I made a silly mistake--the 10" nonstick is the most-used pan in my kitchen. But I ordered the 12" Hexclad thinking that my 10" pans were 12" pans. OOPS. I probably should have exchanged it but I was too beguiled not to immediately use it--planned that very night for blackened Chilean sea bass. I am not sorry to have to send my other large nonstick pans to the donation pile. Too, I have no doubt Bob will order the smaller pan. Question is, can I wait until August for it? (My birthday.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:42 pm

I am at just over four years on a Le Creuset 12" ($150 Can. so same ballpark as a lot of the pans mentioned above) and it is still doing just fine. I am very careful with it and only use plastic utensils on it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Bill, if I had restricted myself to only plastic utensils I no doubt would still be happy with my All Clad. But I am just not that person--I hate plastic utensils. They don't grip or flip as well as metal so though I own the right stuff I'm pretty bad about making myself use them. My All-Clad is pretty chopped up--you can tell I'm right-handed. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Ouch! You brute!

I erred - the one I have now is an All Clad.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:22 pm

No love for wood utensils? That's all I'll use in our nonstick.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:No love for wood utensils? That's all I'll use in our nonstick.

Good alternative. Seem to have misplaced my spurtle though..... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:No love for wood utensils? That's all I'll use in our nonstick.

Good alternative. Seem to have misplaced my spurtle though..... :mrgreen:

I use a Betty Crocker silicon spatula. Only a buck. And I like it so much, I have three of them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:34 am

Plenty, and what I stir with. But spatulas and tongs? No.
Next